Holy smash burgers Batman

So after seeing all the smashburger posts I decided to use my new kj griddle for the second time. I set my divide and conquer system up with the half griddle in the middle level, the half deflector in the lowest position on the other side and a regular ss grill on the top level above the deflector as a warming area. Can I just say i love the divide and conquer system. I got my KJ classic settled in at 500 and then went in the house to season the burgers and let the griddle and kamado really heat soak. So  my wife and I seasoned the chop meat 3 ways. 1.Mccormick's steak seasoning, 2. Kirkland signature sweet mesquite, 3. SPOG, parsley, and a touch of lemon juice. I did three at a time on the griddle as they were a good size and I didn't exactly have the right press. I have a heavy duty ss spatula that's nice but has the openings so I had to kind of work each one when I smashed it. I smashed each meatball into a burger and then just kinda eyed when they were ready to be flipped. I did the same on the other side and I kept the dome open the whole time. My spatula has a very nice edge on it so I didn't have too much trouble scraping them off the griddle. I have to say these were some of, if not the best burgers I've ever made. I will be doing my burgers like this from now on. I'm going to buy a better press. Next time I'm going to try moving the griddle up to the top level and move the stone to the middle level as I think handling the burgers would be easier. I think I'm also going to wait just a bit longer between rounds of burgers to let the griddle regain some heat, it could be in my head but I felt like I didn't get quite as nice of a char as I went on. This cook was a lot of fun. There was something very satisfying about pressing the meat down and hearing that sweet, sweet sizzle. My family thought they were fantastic.

post-2084-0-02021100-1463264699_thumb.jp

post-2084-0-65854700-1463264732_thumb.jp

Great looking smash burgers. I do smash burgers about half the time I make burgers. The other times I make them thick and juicy.

May I suggest next time use the whole griddle (do you have the other half?). That way you can cook them all at the same time and eat them fresh off the griddle without the warming. This will keep the first round(s) from potentially drying out and no waiting for the griddle to come back up to temp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Great looking smash burgers. I do smash burgers about half the time I make burgers. The other times I make them thick and juicy.

May I suggest next time use the whole griddle (do you have the other half?). That way you can cook them all at the same time and eat them fresh off the griddle without the warming. This will keep the first round(s) from potentially drying out and no waiting for the griddle to come back up to temp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's the only piece I have. I got it when I bought my kj at the road show. I do have this pizza pan. I've used it as a griddle before. It needs to be reseasoned before I can use it. To be honest with the dome up and the heat deflector in place I don't think the ones keeping warm were affected much. None of the burgers were dry at all.

Wow, they are some good looking burgers!  I am really getting excited about making my first smashburgers, but I have to get a griddle first.  We are getting some prime angus beef from a steer my brother in law is butchering, I think that will make some spectacular burgers.  

Great looking burgers. Did my first smash burgers a little over a year ago, it is now my go to method. I do occasionally grill a burger with some mesquite chips but that is probably one out of 4 times.