Marinated Reverse Seared Tri-Tip

Howdy Gurus!

Nothing big here, just did a reverse sear on a Tri-Tip over FOGO.  I marinated it in my FoodSaver marinater.  If you don't have one, you should really check it out.  You can get one for under $20 at Amazon.  I highly recommend it.

Here are a couple of pics at the beginning and end of the cook.  I just wasn't too ambitious last night, but all y'all get the idea.

Beginning:

post-1637-0-82410100-1463425702_thumb.jp

Ending:

post-1637-0-14098000-1463425791_thumb.jp

So there you have it.  I took the Tri-Tip to 120F on the grates, cranked up the volume to about 475F.  TheBeast took about 10 minutes to go from 200F to 475F.  I pulled at 128F, tented on the carving board for something like 7-10 minutes and then carved and served.  Just your typical reverse sear.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great.  Honestly, there isn't really any cut of steak that I prefer over reverse seared tri-tip.  IMO, they are that good :)

Rob, thanks for the compliment.  And I've yet to find something that tops a tri-tip.  Given the price here in OKC of about $4.95 a pound for Tri-tip versus north of $8.00 for NY Strip and $8.50+ for ribeye, I'm buying all the tri=tip I can get my hands on at this point.

Looks great.  Honestly, there isn't really any cut of steak that I prefer over reverse seared tri-tip.  IMO, they are that good :)

Rob, thanks for the compliment.  And I've yet to find something that tops a tri-tip.  Given the price here in OKC of about $4.95 a pound for Tri-tip versus north of $8.00 for NY Strip and $8.50+ for ribeye, I'm buying all the tri=tip I can get my hands on at this point.

I discovered a couple of months ago that Costco sell's whole cryo-vac packs of PRIME tri's for about $5/lb.  There's usually about 5-6 tri's per pack.  Needless to say, we also eat a lot of TT :-D.  When entertaining, I have found TT sandwich bars (build your own) to be one of the most complimented meals we put together.  Garlic buttered/toasted hoagie rolls, thinly sliced TT, and all the fixings... SOOOO easy, yet SOOOO good!

I discovered a couple of months ago that Costco sell's whole cryo-vac packs of PRIME tri's for about $5/lb.  There's usually about 5-6 tri's per pack.  Needless to say, we also eat a lot of TT :-D.  When entertaining, I have found TT sandwich bars (build your own) to be one of the most complimented meals we put together.  Garlic buttered/toasted hoagie rolls, thinly sliced TT, and all the fixings... SOOOO easy, yet SOOOO good!

Rob, we don't have a Costco here in OKC.  There are rumors, but until we get our antiquated liquor laws changed to allow for strong beer and wine to be able to be sold anywhere but the liquor store, it's not going to happen.  I'm going to check with the local Sam's to see what I can negotiated.

I absolutely LOVE that sandwich bar idea.  I've got a confab coming up on Memorial Day and that's exactly the ticket I'm going to punch for my guests.  THANK YOU!

That is good looking meat. I bought some tip untrimmed on special a while back, $2.69lb, choice. It was a bulk deal. 5 tri tips in a big bag, 15 pounds. After trimming, there was 5 pounds of fat, pushing the meat price up to $3.59lb. Not to bad. 

That is good looking meat. I bought some tip untrimmed on special a while back, $2.69lb, choice. It was a bulk deal. 5 tri tips in a big bag, 15 pounds. After trimming, there was 5 pounds of fat, pushing the meat price up to $3.59lb. Not to bad.

I trimmed that bad boy pretty lean. It didn't lose too much fat, maybe a quarter pound. Your $3.59/lb beats what I paid. I'm going to check out and see if I can get a case price. Thanks!

That looks great.  I have not had the pleasure of a tri-tip yet. 

Most times it is either a strip or a rib steak depending on which is on sale. I will have to look for one the next time I am in the market.

Thanks, Panchango! I can heartily recommend Tri-Tip. It's really big on the West Coast, but not so much elsewhere. I asked the local Sam's to get it and they did a trial. It's now in the case every day. Once people try it, they're sold. Give it a go. Always slice against the grain and the grain generally changes 3Xs during the carving. Check out YouTube for a really good video on Tri-Tip, how to cook, and how to carve.