Kamado made from a keg

Hi

Well my little keg-Kamado is back up in working order now. I'm going to leave the crazing and minor cracking to the internal faces this time, after thinking about it a bit my reasoning is if the same was to happen again (water ingress)  the Minor cracks will allow steam a place to escape from HOPEFULLY! 

Nigel 

P.S. I nearly fainted when I went to the local BGE supplier for the gasket material £30 for a roll! never doing that again :-?

IMG_20180429_094137.jpg

IMG_20180429_094144.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi   im new to kamado cooking I looked at buying a BGE and one of the Costco Kamados but  instead decided to make one out of a stainless steel keg i was given by a friend   hope you like 

Hi Well my little keg-Kamado is back up in working order now. I'm going to leave the crazing and minor cracking to the internal faces this time, after thinking about it a bit my reasoning is if t

Their choice of grate is hilarious. A Victorian sear pattern for your steaks. Did they include a gothic style grate for when you're in a darker mood?

Posted Images

Dusted off both of my kamado's ready for the summer had chicken last night on the Pitt Boss. Small kamado is having a cleaning burn as it has been in the shed over winter and got a little mould in it. Will be using both tomorrow as its a beautiful 20c here in the UK on the Bank Holiday weekend. 

IMG_20190420_170734.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2019 at 1:12 PM, ndg_2000 said:

Dusted off both of my kamado's ready for the summer had chicken last night on the Pitt Boss. Small kamado is having a cleaning burn as it has been in the shed over winter and got a little mould in it. Will be using both tomorrow as its a beautiful 20c here in the UK on the Bank Holiday weekend. 

IMG_20190420_170734.jpg

How is it holding up? Any other problems? 

Not great .....the issues I'm having are to do with the perlite cement I am waiting to get some water glass (sodium silicate) to paint on the areas that have crumbled and dusted up. This should stabilise the bad areas and solidify any issues before I build anything back up.i will continue to update this thread as I'm doing it 

• 2 weeks later...

I have e decided this is the last time I'm going through this process to fix up this keg kamado.  its not that i dont use it, i do its just that the time and effort and money i have spent on re-making the interior each year i could buy a mini ceramic kamado and get the same use of it.

Right after looking carefully at the damage i could see the insulating concre was too soft to support the stress of the fire cement being knocked together when the lid was closing. With that i mind i decided to firm up the concrete with water glass (Sodum silicate) before re applying the fire cement. here are the before pictures  sorry the photo of the base is a bit blurred i didn't realize until after i started 

IMG_20200515_202407.jpg

IMG_20200515_202414.jpg