Favorite Grill Accessory/Gadget

SOOBYDOO

A nice new heavy duty cooler. I don't care what brand or if it will hold ice in the Sahara for 8.5 days or if it has one type of latch over the other, or if a teenage Polar Bear can tear through the side, etc... But one that you can kick around the yard, patio, tailgate parties, BBQ pit, etc... will take that kind of normal human abuse and keep a seal, and keep "beverages" cold for a day or two. There are a lot of cheaper alternatives to the original big brand name companies now.

While the primary goal here is to stay safely hydrated, a secondary BBQ benifit is you will then "retire" your old cooler to be a dedicated holding insulator box. Wrap your briskest or butts or big hunks of animal flesh in HD foil (or pink paper), wrap that in a couple old stained thick bath sized towels, and you've got the best non-electric holding-oven you could ask for. Meat will hold safe temps like this for hours. Either sitting right at your house, or traveling. It's nice to have a dedicated cooler for this, as it will absorb the smokey smell over time. Find a few thick towels that you don't really use any more and leave them dedicated to that purpose too. I wouldn't recommend just grabbing any nice towel out of the closet, unless your wife or significant other is much more understanding than mine.

I'm a big fan of Grill Grates, KickAsh Basket, Thermapen, Maverick Remote Thermometers and FOGO charcoal. Check out the Fogo website and order direct. Best coal I've found to date.

Two sets of gloves... One thick welding type of gloves to handle the extreme DRY heat/fire, and one pair of the colorful silicone grippy bumpy kind, for WET items. The silicone ones don't offer the extreme heat protection of the Welding Leathers... And the leathers don't do you any good if you get them wet. If you opt for Pit Mitts in lieu of the Welders, make sure you get the extra long kind, that give you some protection up your arm a little.

A nice new heavy duty cooler. I don't care what brand or if it will hold ice in the Sahara for 8.5 days or if it has one type of latch over the other, or if a teenage Polar Bear can tear through the side, etc... But one that you can kick around the yard, patio, tailgate parties, BBQ pit, etc... will take that kind of normal human abuse and keep a seal, and keep "beverages" cold for a day or two. There are a lot of cheaper alternatives to the original big brand name companies now.

While the primary goal here is to stay safely hydrated, a secondary BBQ benifit is you will then "retire" your old cooler to be a dedicated holding insulator box. Wrap your briskest or butts or big hunks of animal flesh in HD foil (or pink paper), wrap that in a couple old stained thick bath sized towels, and you've got the best non-electric holding-oven you could ask for. Meat will hold safe temps like this for hours. Either sitting right at your house, or traveling. It's nice to have a dedicated cooler for this, as it will absorb the smokey smell over time. Find a few thick towels that you don't really use any more and leave them dedicated to that purpose too. I wouldn't recommend just grabbing any nice towel out of the closet, unless your wife or significant other is much more understanding than mine.

I'm a big fan of Grill Grates, KickAsh Basket, Thermapen, Maverick Remote Thermometers and FOGO charcoal. Check out the Fogo website and order direct. Best coal I've found to date.

Two sets of gloves... One thick welding type of gloves to handle the extreme DRY heat/fire, and one pair of the colorful silicone grippy bumpy kind, for WET items. The silicone ones don't offer the extreme heat protection of the Welding Leathers... And the leathers don't do you any good if you get them wet. If you opt for Pit Mitts in lieu of the Welders, make sure you get the extra long kind, that give you some protection up your arm a little.

I actually just ordered an RTIC 45 Cooler but the lead time is awful so I shouldnt get it until some time next month (hopefully). I have an old igloo cooler that I can use for resting/transporting briskets or butts, good advice though because i never really considered the smell absorbing into the the walls of the cooler. I'll definitely get some of the silicone gloves since I only have the welding type gloves to handle hot heat deflectors or pull the whole DaC system out, wouldnt want to get them covered in a bunch of crud! Thanks for the tips Sir.

My RTIC 45 came about a month ago. Going to use it for the first time this weekend. It's definitely heavy duty. Looking forward to the softpak tho since I use those more often.

My RTIC 45 came about a month ago. Going to use it for the first time this weekend. It's definitely heavy duty. Looking forward to the softpak tho since I use those more often.

Good to hear! let us know how it goes for you.

I highly recommend you visit Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store in Denton, TX. Tom has accessories that you can "touch and feel". Tom is one of the most knowledgeable people you will ever meet when it comes to ceramic grills.

Oh wow, I had no idea that I had a store like that so close by. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be making a trip over there as soon as  I get a chance!

Worked great. Kept 42+ beverages cold with 1 7lb bag of ice and still had some ice in it after 24 hours on a 75+F day. Open/closing it alot grabbing beers.

Worked great. Kept 42+ beverages cold with 1 7lb bag of ice and still had some ice in it after 24 hours on a 75+F day. Open/closing it alot grabbing beers.

Great to hear! Looking forward to mine coming whenever that is.

• 2 weeks later...