Favorite Grill Accessory/Gadget

SOOBYDOO

Can't believe I don't see any votes for temp controllers like pitmaster iq or digi iq etc...

They just are not needed on kamados and are (except for the TTT) are too expensive to buy for chits & grins  :shock:

This thread got me!.. You're all enablers!

Since picking up my KJC... I've aquired

... Thermapen MK4

.... KJ grill extender

... Joetisserie

....Kick Ash cage

.... Pizza stone (Emile Henry brand)

...and all sorts of little things...

My days are consumed searching for more gadgets!... Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I don't see any votes for temp controllers like pitmaster iq or digi iq etc...

Kamado grills are too efficient to bother with them. I know that when I open my vents a certain amount, I'll get the temps I want without the need for assistance.

I have two different brands that are buried somewhere in my garage. I can't remember the last time I used either one.

For me it's the JOETisserie, followed by Kick Ash Baskets, Thermapen Smart Temps and my Pelican coolers.

@AndyScalzo - have you noticed that the longer you're in this game to few "toys" (for lack of a better word) you seem inclined to use?  I've got all kinds of stuff gathering dust that I used to employ, but now ... meh!  Just give me a bag of good lump, my MAPP torch, my Thermapen, a cold beer, and get out of my way.  I don't think I really need much else to put a killer meal on the table.

@AndyScalzo - have you noticed that the longer you're in this game to few "toys" (for lack of a better word) you seem inclined to use? I've got all kinds of stuff gathering dust that I used to employ, but now ... meh! Just give me a bag of good lump, my MAPP torch, my Thermapen, a cold beer, and get out of my way. I don't think I really need much else to put a killer meal on the table.

100% AGREE

For me love my grill grates but the best thing ever has to be a joetisserie .we all by stuff on a whim because it looks cool someone said somewhere it was the best thing since sliced bread lol .what we really want is what we use the most, and if if your lucky enough to be in the U.S. a kamado Joe tee shirt

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill ♨

So, my question to the veterans here is what are your most used or favorite accessories for your Joe?

Is there a certain item you regret purchasing because you don't use it often, if at all, or things you found to be lacking or poorly designed and ineffective? Let me know!

Favorite for classic:

1/2 moon c.i. Griddle that you have, joetisserie, Thermapen (good, reliable instant read therm), Maverick (or good reliable remote meat temp sensor) 10" & 12" cast iron pans.

Regret buying:

Grill grates. I have them for my junior and classic, bought them during the rush when everyone here was buying then and there was a discount code. There are claims of "semi-indirect cooking" "juices sizzling on the grill grates and enhancing flavor" but truth be told, I find that they don't add any flavor and never found any value in semi-indirect cooking.

They are a pain to clean and come with that big, foolish looking spatula that you have to store. I see now that you can buy a custom grill brush for them.

Some people love them but imo, they are a waste of money, I'd recommend putting the $$ toward something more useful that you would use more frequently.

I thought I was the only one. If i want semi indirect i go with the half diffuser and a grate.

If i want direct then I go direct.

Fish on the grill is where I probably would use them

They were a HUGE improvement on the gas grill where they really did boost the heat. With charcoal the heat is there if you want it.

Cleaning them can be almost impossible and the build up insulates the heat.

I may use them once a year if that.

So many rave about them that I find myself wondering what I missed and am missing.

This thread got me!.. You're all enablers!

Since picking up my KJC... I've aquired

... Thermapen MK4

.... KJ grill extender

... Joetisserie

....Kick Ash cage

.... Pizza stone (Emile Henry brand)

...and all sorts of little things...

My days are consumed searching for more gadgets!... Lol

I bet that you do not regret any of those. All good solid additions.

@AndyScalzo - have you noticed that the longer you're in this game to few "toys" (for lack of a better word) you seem inclined to use?  I've got all kinds of stuff gathering dust that I used to employ, but now ... meh!  Just give me a bag of good lump, my MAPP torch, my Thermapen, a cold beer, and get out of my way.  I don't think I really need much else to put a killer meal on the table.

Must of the bbq toys that I don't use are crap that companies sent me to either beta test or review CC. I have a boxful of crap that is going to the dump one of these days. 90% of my Kamado cooks in the past few years have been rotisserie spins. I keep acquiring rotisserie gear and utilize all of it.

I only saw gloves mentioned in one post. I have several pair of Leather; Kevlar (sp?) and Silicone gloves, and use them on virtually 100% of my cooks. I keep gloves in both the pitt and the kitchen.

@AndyScalzo - have you noticed that the longer you're in this game to few "toys" (for lack of a better word) you seem inclined to use? I've got all kinds of stuff gathering dust that I used to employ, but now ... meh! Just give me a bag of good lump, my MAPP torch, my Thermapen, a cold beer, and get out of my way. I don't think I really need much else to put a killer meal on the table.

Must of the bbq toys that I don't use are crap that companies sent me to either beta test or review CC. I have a boxful of crap that is going to the dump one of these days. 90% of my Kamado cooks in the past few years have been rotisserie spins. I keep acquiring rotisserie gear and utilize all of it.

I only saw gloves mentioned in one post. I have several pair of Leather; Kevlar (sp?) and Silicone gloves, and use them on virtually 100% of my cooks. I keep gloves in both the pitt and the kitchen.

I didn't metion gloves because I consider them a nesesity not an accessory lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill ♨