First Pizza on the Pit Boss

Wildwr

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice pies! I hope you don't mind a naive question from a newbie who is still waiting for his Akorn to be ready for pick-up: For cooking pizza in a home oven, you sometimes read to use two stones so that the pizza gets sufficient heat from the bottom and from above. So, if I look at a set-up like this one here, I am wondering: If I added another pizza stone directly on the main grate, could I make 2 pizzas at the same time, one on top and one sandwiched between the two stones?

Sorry if that is a stupid question...

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

Great looking pizza.

I use just bread flower on the peel and it slides off no problems and the base is great. I tried cornmeal but felt it has a taste that isnt that of a traditional pizza

That might just be me..

I got one of these from The Range for a quid...

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Innovations-Kwika-Pizza-Oven-Mesh-32cm/239470011?sku=239470011&parentContainer=&voucherCode=&dnr=y

Since there were so many questions surrounding the use of a deflector along with the pizza stone, I decided to try it with out the deflector last night. The remaining set-up was the same as original post.

Well the end result was slightly different as there was more direct heat on the pizza stone.

What I found is the bottom cooks much faster leaving the top crust cooked without the nice charded affect.

They were very tasty and my wife actually preferred less char to the top.

Cheers

Very nice pies! I hope you don't mind a naive question from a newbie who is still waiting for his Akorn to be ready for pick-up: For cooking pizza in a home oven, you sometimes read to use two stones so that the pizza gets sufficient heat from the bottom and from above. So, if I look at a set-up like this one here, I am wondering: If I added another pizza stone directly on the main grate, could I make 2 pizzas at the same time, one on top and one sandwiched between the two stones?

Stefan

Not a stupid question. I think I understand what you are asking, but If you are wanting to use the “upper rack” that comes with the akorn, this will not work because the rack is not strong or big enough to support a pizza stone. At least isn't strong enough on mine.

Stefan

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/19/2016 at 7:18 AM, ckreef said:

That is going to depend on your stone. I have a really thick pizza stone so I don't use a deflector. Most normal store bought stones will benefit from a deflect since they are generally thin stones.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On 5/19/2016 at 7:56 AM, Wildwr said:

I agree with ckreef,

I believe the stone thickness is the determination on whether to use a deflector or not.

Keeping in mind not all stones are designed for the direct high heat a Kamado produces, so a safe bet would be to use a deflector,

Frist: Great looking pies. Anyone would be  happy with that if it's your 1st or your 101st pizza cook . On the topic of deflectors and pizza stone set up. I agree with both the above comments and might also add that another factor is found in  how you build your pizza  set up. My stones are 5/8" thick and I use two of them with an air space in between the two.  I have experimented with the distance between the lower deflector stone and the pizza stone placed above it. My standard set up height (I use the one designed by John Setzler)   is 1  and 5/8 inches (the height of the smallest  ceramic kiln blocks I have ). I have also built setups with up to  4 or 5 inches between the two stones. The basic finding is the more distance between the two stones the more forgiving the set up is and because of that,  the finding  that it takes longer to cook your pie with a 5 inch air space than it does with the stones together or at 1 and 5/8". The other thing with a pizza stone set high into the dome is that you get  less heat from below and more heat reflected downward on the top surface of your pie because your stone is much closer to the surface of your dome. which circulates the rising heat back down.  I constantly mess with my Pizza set up, looking for "The One".  For example if I cook a pepperoni pie with the sausage on top of the cheese, I like a pizza stone high and close to the dome because it gives me nice and crispy pepperoni while leaving me a soft chewy crust.