Pork Tenderloin direct or indirect heat?

25 minutes ago, Caddy said:

Why wouldn't you sear it first to seal in the juices.. then finish on indirect?

First, welcome to Kamado Guru!

Second, this thread is about five years old so some of the posters may be gone (although Baby Back Maniac is still around).

Third, think of a pork tenderloin as a really thick (round) pork steak. I like to apply rub, cook over indirect heat around 350 (with or without smoke) until they get to about 110 internal and then sear over high heat to the final internal of about 135 - 140.  And then let them rest for 10 or 15 minutes.

Fourth, searing produces a wonderful and tasty crust because of the Maillard reaction but it does nothing to help meat retain juices.  

Fifth, you could sear first and then cook indirect but most folks prefer to use the searing to raise the meat to the final desired temp. That way you control the amount of searing. 

Welcome to the forum. For me it is also easier on a kamado to go from a lower temperature then ramp up to searing temperature. Much harder to go from high heat searing, then to cooler temperature roasting 

I do pork tenderloins very often (about once per week) as they are often on sale here.  They take nothing fancy to do well.

I set up a reasonably hot fire underneath (direct) with my keg stable at around 450 or so.  Tenderloin is fairly high up above the direct heat though as to not scorch.  I usually dry brine the tenderloin (smoked mushroom rub, diluted BBQ sauce, various spices, salt etc) in saran wrap for a few hours or overnight.   I cook the tenderloin over direct heat, rotating on all sides, until lightly seared on all sides and internal temp is around 140-145 - usually about 12-15 minutes.  Remove and rest.  ALWAYS comes out juicy, tender etc.

My go to for tenderloin is to marinate it in a cuban pork marinate for a couple of hours and then spin it on the rotisserie at 375.    I prefer to do it on the KJ Classic, but if it is a week night and I can't the time to get the fire going, it works just fine on the gasser.  The marinate and rotisserie make for a moist result.  

1-20170510_193049.jpg.a38e370a7547d02acfbde4c1e14fbb86.jpg

3 hours ago, Woodman said:

I think cooking something for the first time when cooking for guests is a dangerous game. A trial run never hurts.  That's my $.02. 

Not me. I can't tell you how many times I invited people over just because I want to try something new.  

Some of my best work has been done with guests when I'm trying something for the first time!

My go to for Tenderloin is low and slow.  225 Indirect with a basic rub. My temp probe goes in the thicker end and then cook to 140 degrees over a 225 grill.  It takes about 30-40 minutes.  Let it rest for a bit, slice into Silver Dollar medallions and serve.  The best part?  The second piece on the grill that I dont tell anyone about and eat cold for lunch the next day!

There are exceptions to this, of course, but generally for low and slow cooking (225 - 275f), I'll go indirect. For grilling, 300 - 450f) direct usually works for me. FWIW, and contrary to some, searing the meat does not seal in the juices.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:33 AM, mstewart39 said:

I do John Setzler's recipe and method from this video.  The peach flavor is insane.  

(This meal caused a friend to go buy a kamado grill.)

I do that cook frequently. (I own that book)  I've  used my homemade peach and cherry jams. It's my goto recipes when I have guests over. Really hard to screw it up and the flavor is "insane". 

If someone hasn't done this cook before you really are missing out. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I do that cook frequently. (I own that book)  I've  used my homemade peach and cherry jams. It's my goto recipes when I have guests over. Really hard to screw it up and the flavor is "insane". 

If someone hasn't done this cook before you really are missing out. 

Ah.....I have that book and haven't used it in a while.

Gonna have to give this one a go.