Sign in to follow this  
deosola

Defect in my new Akorn

^^^ Either this or just cover it over with some spray paint.  Is it a hole with the insulation coming through?  Cause if so then yes I would definitely get a replacement.  Otherwise, I'd just paint over it and move on because it wouldn't do anything to disrupt it functionally.

OK. . .you all convinced me.  I decided to contact Char-Griller's Customer Service people and they said they would send me a new bottom main body.  I was about to just let it slide but after reading all your comments, It seemed dumb not to at least contact them.  Plus, this would have bugged me for a long time.

Thanks everyone.

(PS.  Char-Griller's customer service people are great to deal with.)

Service department will replace for sure.
Either that or if you want... fill it with some JB-Weld... it dries to the same color.
Shouldn't affect cooking but the rusting is a thought.

You just found out that with Akorn, or if you move to ceramic kamados all of their customer service is top noth, don't be afraid to contact them. You'll be surprised at what they will do to keep consumers happy.

My 6719 came with a very similar defect except it was on the back of the grill just below one of the hood hinges It was about half the size of an eraser. It appears to be a spot where when the textured black finish was applied something touched it before it had cured.  Being the perfectionist I am (Been trying to work on this  :-?​ ) it has been hard not to swap it for a new one but being on the back side of the grill i am not sure its worth having to load it up and return to Lowes along with having to put together another grill that could have some other issue that would bug me worse. Other than the one small spot on the back everything else seems to be near perfect. I put just a dot of Industrial 100% Acrylic paint on the bare metal spot to guard against rust. 

I just had a great experience with their customer service as well. The bottom section was out of round and the grill grate wouldn't sit right. The latch for the top and bottom also didn't align, so they sent me a new top and bottom. Definitely a happy customer here.

Glad to hear they took care of you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a Akorn Kamado, and it had some minor defects I noticed during assembly (bent lip above dome gasket, misaligned latch). Then,  after seasoning and my first use, I noticed the bent lip had become discolored, and moisture had somehow entered the thermometer, fogging it up.

I hesitated to contacted customer support, but then I thought about the fact that I paid for it brand new, and it should not have any defects. Do these defects affect the performance? Probably not greatly, but I still expect a brand new, undamaged product out of the box.

Long story short, they quickly agreed to send me a new dome and thermometer, and if the dome doesn't address the alignment issue, they'll send me another bottom also. I would say that's GREAT customer service!