Stainless steel VS Cast Iron Grates

bel4_20

Since i'm on my way to getting a Joe this summer I just was reading up on them and I see they come with stainless steel grates, That said I've owned 2 Kamados for over 5 years and both have had Cast iron grill grates. Can someone comment on the stainless greats and the differences between the to? I was always lead to believe that Cast Iron grates are the way to go? Why did KJ choose to use Stainless?

Thanks 

Having the CI grate on the Akorn and now a Big Joe with SS grates, I prefer the stainless. These aren't no thin gauge rod like a Weber grate, these are heavy duty. That said, they are much lighter than the CI I'm used to on the Akorn and that's a good thing. These bad boys wipe clean with a few passes of my brush and I haven't had anything stick to them yet, they're a great accompaniment to the rest of the high quality parts you'll find on a KJ cooker.

I have both cast iron grates and stainless grates for my big joe and classic. I love them, but do not necessarily think they are a necessity. I use the cast Iron because I have them and love the crust the cast leaves on the food. The rest of my family is not so keen on that. So I think it may come down to preferences. I actually cook meals with one cast side for me and stainless side for everyone else.

Since i'm on my way to getting a Joe this summer I just was reading up on them and I see they come with stainless steel grates, That said I've owned 2 Kamados for over 5 years and both have had Cast iron grill grates. Can someone comment on the stainless greats and the differences between the to? I was always lead to believe that Cast Iron grates are the way to go? Why did KJ choose to use Stainless?

Thanks

You could always pick up a relatively cheap cast iron griddle for any think you would prefer to have cast iron for. I think my husband got mine for 20 bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the chargriller Akorn that i'm retiring as soon as big joe shows up, I hear the CI grate from it will fit the big joe so perhaps that will do the job for me. Would you guys say that "grill marks" are not possible with the SS grates?

I've been using stainless steel grates for quite some time and I've never had problem getting "grill marks." Additionally, Grill Grates is anodized aluminum and I get grate marks on that.  A gill mark is nothing more than charred protein. All you need is your grate hot enough to char protein.  No big deal there.  

As you sure that your Akorn CI will fit in the Big Joe?  The Akorn is considerably smaller than the Big Joe in terms of diameter.  How are you planning to use the smaller CI in the Big Joe?

Well I have the chargriller Akorn that i'm retiring as soon as big joe shows up, I hear the CI grate from it will fit the big joe so perhaps that will do the job for me. Would you guys say that "grill marks" are not possible with the SS grates?

. The Alorn is a 19 or 20 inch grill right? The bigjoe is a 24 inch grill. I assume you could lay the Akorn grates on the BigJoe cooking surface, but I am not seeing how they would fit in the D&C

I have stainless, cast iron, and carbon steel grates. The CI and the Carbon Steel take the most work in terms of upkeep. Which one do you think, I use the most? Definitely the stainless. If you put together a good cook, it is really hard to come up with significant differences created solely by the choice of grill grates. Unless you actually use "Grill Grates" which produce a pretty unique grill mark and presentation.  I find the less stress, the better I cook. So I take the easiest way out, since I can't see a real downside to using the stainless. 

. The Alorn is a 19 or 20 inch grill right? The bigjoe is a 24 inch grill. I assume you could lay the Akorn grates on the BigJoe cooking surface, but I am not seeing how they would fit in the D&C
I thought I seen a post here? With someone saying it fits the lower bowl? Does that make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I thought I seen a post here? With someone saying it fits the lower bowl? Does that make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That might make sense. If I have a chance later I can measure the diameter of the fire bowl and firering.

You could lay it on the xrack

I have stainless, cast iron, and carbon steel grates. The CI and the Carbon Steel take the most work in terms of upkeep. Which one do you think, I use the most? Definitely the stainless. If you put together a good cook, it is really hard to come up with significant differences created solely by the choice of grill grates. Unless you actually use "Grill Grates" which produce a pretty unique grill mark and presentation.  I find the less stress, the better I cook. So I take the easiest way out, since I can't see a real downside to using the stainless.

keeper - I'm in the boat with you! Cast Rion grates are just too much a PITA when simpler (better) alternatives exist. I'm not looking for more work. Grill grates and stainless steel do every bit the job of CI if not better.