Sign in to follow this  
Big Biscuit

Cordless Hedge Trimmers?

Anyone have any experience with these? My old Black & Decker Hedgehog has bit the dust. So it was time for a replacement and I ended up picking up a dewalt 40 volt max 22" dual cordless trimmer. It has a lot of good reviews and I'm familiar with dewalt products. My only reservation is the battery life in the short term and the long term. They're not cheap. I know it's a little bassackwords to be asking this after I bought the trimmers but I just wanted to get a feel of what to expect. Here's what she looks like. http://www.dewalt.com/tools/outdoor-power-tool-equipment-dcht860m1.aspx

I have my Ryobi hedge trimmer for over three years and absolutely love it. I don't think you can go wrong with cordless as long as you're not cutting 3/4" thick branches. With the battery life I have multiple battery packs due to multiple Ryobi tools and have never had a life issue since they are lithium. I think you will be happy as long as you have an extra battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow just got done with my hedges and I'm impressed. It was so nice not having to deal with a cord for once. Muscle memory kicked in though. After I got done trimming a section I found myself reaching for the extension cord a few times. I've got enough juice left in there I could trim the few ornamental shrubs that I have. WOOT!!!

I have the higher end 36 V Black and Decker unit. It's performed well. It does pay to have an extra battery pack. One battery is good enough for regular trimming. Edging will use more battery power than anything else. The second battery is a good idea for edging. It really depends on how large of a lawn you have.

People in newer neighborhoods may only need a pair of scissors to trim their grass with how chintzy home builder are getting with lot sizes.

I may replace my gas mower with an Ego Mower from Home Depot. The Ego is the first cordless I've seen that can hold it's own against the gas mowers. Tune-up's are getting so costly for gas mowers that cordless mowers no longer feel that expensive anymore.

A $120 maintenance and tune-up on a gas mower buy a couple of spare batteries in no time flat. The newer gas mowers are less reliable due to failure of auto-choak systems. People are too lazy to press a choak button 4 times to prime the engine before starting the engine.

The solution was to add an auto-choak system to mowers that gums up the motor when it fails.

I had the B&D 36v version and the battery's started to not last very long. They don't make the 36v version anymore and the batteries that I could find were very expensive. I did a lot of research on the cordless tools because whatever brand  you get you are basically buying into the whole lineup. I decided the EGO Power Plus 56v were the best engineered, battery wise, and I went with that brand. I was only going to start with the hedge trimmer but I ordered online the blower, string trimmer and hedge trimmer because HD is running a special right now, for every tool you buy you get a 2.0v battery free. It is just too good a deal to pass up and I decided to jump in. I will be gas tool free now and I will not miss pulling to start those tools. I will actually get them tomorrow, so I'll be able to use them and see if I chose wisely.

I had the B&D 36v version and the battery's started to not last very long. They don't make the 36v version anymore and the batteries that I could find were very expensive. I did a lot of research on the cordless tools because whatever brand  you get you are basically buying into the whole lineup. I decided the EGO Power Plus 56v were the best engineered, battery wise, and I went with that brand. I was only going to start with the hedge trimmer but I ordered online the blower, string trimmer and hedge trimmer because HD is running a special right now, for every tool you buy you get a 2.0v battery free. It is just too good a deal to pass up and I decided to jump in. I will be gas tool free now and I will not miss pulling to start those tools. I will actually get them tomorrow, so I'll be able to use them and see if I chose wisely.

It's a little disappointing to hear B&D killed the 36 V version. It was their best cordless they ever made. I've had mine for 3 years and it's never failed to perform. B&D has a very bad habit of getting a tool right and screwing it up with the next revision. At least their consistent.

I only wish EGO would start making snow blowers.

They have one coming out this year. Supposed to be out this fall, it's in testing now. That's another reason I went with EGO, I am too old to shovel snow anymore. I don't get much snow here in VA, usually only 4-5 times a winter but when it does come, it's usually several inches. This snow blower should be perfect for me.

They have one coming out this year. Supposed to be out this fall, it's in testing now. That's another reason I went with EGO, I am too old to shovel snow anymore. I don't get much snow here in VA, usually only 4-5 times a winter but when it does come, it's usually several inches. This snow blower should be perfect for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjcRxwRYYZA

It looks very interesting. I have the Snow Joe now. It's not bad, it's no where near anything like that beast. I notice it's using two batteries. It might actually be a cordless snow blower that can finally compete against the gas units.

I have lowes kobalt 80v line of tools, I'm very impressed with them and have no intention to going back to gas or corded electric and I have an acre to maintain and mother in laws house. After some research I found out that the kobalt line is a duplicate of greenworks pro 80v line. All tools have brushless motors.

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/80v-26inch-hedge-trimmer/

http://www.lowes.com/Kobalt-80-Volt-Outdoor-Power-Equipment/_/N-1z0ubd2/pl#!

I'm in the market for a hedge trimmer but will be going with a two stroke gas Husqvarna trimmer. My Grandma worked for B&D a long time ago when the quality was much better, not so much these days, IMO. My Mrs. bought me a nice 24v cordless tool set for Christmas a few years back, the battery died after a year, and B&D discontinued the 24v line. Can't find a replacement battery to save my life. You can rebuilt cordless tool batteries if you are handy with a soldering iron and have a few hours to de-solder, solder, and repack the cells. It's an option for me but a project I haven't found time to undertake.

I'm in the market for a hedge trimmer but will be going with a two stroke gas Husqvarna trimmer. My Grandma worked for B&D a long time ago when the quality was much better, not so much these days, IMO. My Mrs. bought me a nice 24v cordless tool set for Christmas a few years back, the battery died after a year, and B&D discontinued the 24v line. Can't find a replacement battery to save my life. You can rebuilt cordless tool batteries if you are handy with a soldering iron and have a few hours to de-solder, solder, and repack the cells. It's an option for me but a project I haven't found time to undertake.

I choose cordless to please the ladies of the house. The girls would never touch a gas trimmer; gas trimmers are huge over kill for a smaller city lot. Like anything, it comes down to the size of property.