The long goodbye

philpom

Almost 19 years ago my new bride and I purchased our first home.  We never moved out, just kept our first home all these years.  It's now time to say goodbye.  We're putting it on the Market on Monday.

It's the only home that 3 of our kids have ever known and has been a rock for the other 2.  Their height carefully recorded on the pantry door jam, the tire swing in the back, 18 seasons of vegetable gardens.  All the memories - goodbye.

I admit that during a remodel I wrote a love letter to Mrs philpom inside the wall!  

Anyone want to buy a house?  buy it before I list it and save.

IMG_20160526_180400551_zpsxkvkn6tv.jpg

Mark - memories you take with you, always. The memories are inside your head and heart. Those memories are just a thought away, no matter where you are. You'll start making memories in your new home the moment you set foot across the threshold. Congrats to the whole family!

You wrote a love letter inside the wall? Awwwwwwwww. You must be a good husband.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It was cheesy but I was 20 something.  20+ years tells me I am at least bearable.  I practice often.  I am sure she would say the same but I give it all to her.  She would tell you that well behaved women don't make history but their men do.  She runs the show, I just follow orders as best I can.

Congrats on the new home! After being married 7 years, we bought our first home together last year. We're still unpacking stuff and figuring out what to do with the spare rooms, etc. I've got a bug about fixing up the back yard... I'm envisioning a covered BBQ place for Big Joe, a flagstone patio and hot tub, a fire pit, all that... It will come in time, as will new memories at your new place. Best of luck to you and family!

Congrats on the new home Mark! I've been married for 22 years, and we have moved so many times that I have lost track, no joke. I find that once we are out of a home and into the next, any kind of attachment to the old quickly vanishes.

I think the worst for me will be driving by in 5 years and seeing that the yard is dead or trees aren't taken care of....  that someone junked it.  I hope the new owners take care of it (and they might) but it will be their home to wreck.  

When we first got married we moved about once a year.  I don't even remember some of the places very well.  After 18 years in this one I know everything about it.  No regret, I'm not sad etc but I bet sometime in the future my wife and I will be out back and we'll remember a time or event that takes us right back to that house!

Now forward with a new chapter - it's a much nicer home anyways!