Homemade Ash Shaker (picture heavy)

Stretch

I purchased the kick ash basket last year and used it a couple of times but it didn't really work well for me. It's really not made for a Vision Pro S which is what I have. I scrapped it and have been using just the firebox. While cruising around the local big box store I came across something I thought would work out well. I decided to make my own today and I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'm not a welder although it's something I would really like to learn someday. I used some old fence wire I had laying around to twist tie the various pieces together. I let everyone know how it holds up. First cook is going on right now with a spinning chicken.

post-7594-0-14038200-1464311489_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-49890600-1464311799_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-66828400-1464311876_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-90690300-1464311911_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-17613500-1464311968_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-76976900-1464311995_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-35945500-1464312059_thumb.jp

post-7594-0-25717000-1464312081_thumb.jp

I always left a fire grate in.  If you are going for a pizza fire, or over 400F, just don't use the basket.

I use a piece of that extruded metal over the fire grate in my Primo, even, for any fire under 400F, as it restricts the air flow a bit, and keeps the fire going the more even, & keeps the small lit coals from dropping down into the ash compartment.

That looks good. i use two grates criss crossed. I think if you could raise the basket an inch or two the air flow would be greatly improved. i use cut pieces of fire brick to raise my criss crossed charcoal grates 2 inches above the bottom of the fire bowl. I can burn regular cheap kingsford briquettes this way. Still experimenting. 

What is the reasoning for using these baskets?  Expedite cleaning after a cook?

Yes, and depending on the design of the original fire grate:

1)  By replacing with basket will expedite air flow

2)  By using with basket will help control, restrict air flow.

What is the reasoning for using these baskets?  Expedite cleaning after a cook?

Yes, and depending on the design of the original fire grate:

1)  By replacing with basket will expedite air flow

2)  By using with basket will help control, restrict air flow.

Helps keep the lump in bigger pieces. just shake the ash off, instead of spreading it around with ash tool. Ash tool tends to make my lump break up into small pieces.

Saw this at Target. i gave up on trying to post right side up pics. Can't embed a youtube video either. 

I was at a neighbors this past weekend for a graduation party,  they had the same serving basket or something similar.  I was holding it, fiddling w/ it and taking a closer look, my wife then asks.   what are you doing, to which I reply, thinking about a Kamado application.  Her response was simply.... put it down, and walk away....