BSA

Prime rib roast on Joetisserie

Has anyone done a prime rib on the Joetisserie. I have a six lb. one I was going to spin tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

I have never done a spun prime rib on my kamado, but I used to do them all the time  on my Weber Kettle with a rotisserie ring and attachment. Prime rib turns out great when spun. Use a thermapen to check the temp. Pretty straight forward cook, I used to cook them at about 300 - 325. I would slather them with grain mustard and then sprinkle on cracked pepper and kosher salt. Makes a nice crust. They really don't need much, to taste great. Have fun. 

I did a search but didn't find anything. I will try again. Thanks Keeper for the suggestions. I have done several on my vision but never using the rotisserie.

With PR, i think temp is the key. What temp you cook it at determines how much brown, if any, you get around the edges of the roast. If you cook it lower say 300 you can make it pink all the way to the edge. In my family I have some who like it medium rare and some who go for medium, and even one who wants everything cooked to death without any pink at all. Go figure, but I do try to please them all. Depending on who I am cooking for I  usually pull PR between 125 and 130. That gives me more or less medium rare. The nicest thing about the rotisserie for PR, IMO, is the crust. You can cook at 300 and get an absolutely wonderful crust, nice and browned and even. Have fun, PR is a really enjoyable cook. Whatch cooking on the side? Remember to save enough for ample sammies, those are IMO the best part.  Happy Cooking Look at Andy's posts, I know he did a spun PR or even a couple of them. 

Dinner is about 3. I usually pull my prime rib at 120. We like it pretty rare. If someone in the family wants it well done, my brother in law owned a restaurant and always had a pan of au jus on the back burner. He would always cook his prime rib rare and put a slice in the au jus to cook it to the right doneness for the customer. Works great. Baked potatoes and broccoli on the side today.

Thanks Andy. Those look wonderful. What temp and how long? Mine is 6 lbs and I am guessing about 2 hours for med. rare but I am going to keep a close eye on it. I will pull at 120 and let it rest.

Some newbie stupid questions:

1.  Was the prime rib spun with the dome closed or open?

2.  What was the cooking temp and if it was slow and low, how were you able to get a nice crust?

3.  Last question, is it better to have the charcoals to one side oppose to all around?

Thanks