Kamado Joe Elite or Platimum

Charcoal Addict

Guys,

I didn't intend this to be a KK vs KJ thing. The KK is remarkable grill on it's own. There's no need for a competition.

Lifetime warranties aside, a Refractory Big Joe would be awesome. It would never crack; it would be cool to the touch with the needle burried at 900 F. It would sip charcoal and you would never need to replace your firebox.

$2500 Elite Big Joe is not a replacement for the KK. It would represent an affordable option for refractory ceramic grill that fits perfectly on a shelf of an outdoor kitchen.

KK a luxury Refractory grill for people willing to spend top dollar. KJ can offer something for the rest of us who want a refractory grill that fits in a outdoor kitchen vs a KK where the outdoor kitchen has to be designed around the grill with feet sticking out.

Kamado Joe is working on some updates to the existing line that should make huge improvements in several areas that you have mentioned here already.  They won't be refractory cement though but they will not be significantly more expensive, if any, than the existing line.  

Refractory? Aerogel? Why not add spring assisted lid opening? How about a built in rotisserie! That kamado you want already exists. It's called a Komodo Kamado. Just get the real thing.

This is a Kamado Joe thread, in the Kamado Joe section, what the hell are doing butting in and attempting flame their conversation?
Excuse me all to hell, Ross. I just made what was supposed to be a rather light hearted comment. There was absolutely no flame intended! Mea culpa all over the damned place. I guess I won't make that mistake again! Geez. You forget I've boosted KJ here many, many times. I've repeatedly said it's it best deal in kamados right now. And you think I'm flaming KJ and it's users and fans!?

I guarantee you I've arranged for over a dozen of my friends in 4 states to buy KJ, and you tell me I'm flaming!? Really? Don't you think that you may have misread my post in this rather flat means of communication? What, you want me to use emoticons in every single post so I don't offend your oh so sensitive sensibilities?

If something like this gets me banned, so f'ing be it!

Take a damned pill! You're way out of line.

Come on guys... Does this contribute anything to the discussion?? 

Ross--I am not a Trump supporter and really don't get the in your face comment.  I was just trying to make a lighthearted post with a couple of photos to help diffuse what appeared to be (and what seems to have become) and unnecessarily escalating situation.

I respectfully suggest that all concerned take a deep breath and let the steam out of the kettle.

With respect to all parties..... 

Refractory cement isn't as expensive as people think it is. It wouldn't make a KJ that was substantially more expensive than the current Joe.

- Better flexibility, no more cracking

- Less heat loss, 25% heat loss versus 50% heat loss

- Lower lump consumption

- Faster lighting times due to better heat retention

$2599 Big Joe Elite Refractory Kamado vs $1599 current model Big Joe

My apologies, CC and Jack, and the Trump comment was all in fun, not insinuating that you're a supporter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, blood pressure back down below 300/200 and the living is easy. There are no broken bones and no arterial bleeding! :lol:

Ross, I think the problem is that this is a really flat means of communication and I'm an old fart. There is no body language to be seen, no intonation, nothing but words and that's just about 10% of the total trying to be communicated. Being an old fart means I'm not very good at figuring out how to really communicate in this flat medium. I'll try harder to remember that emoticons are helpful. :)

See, I think I'm doing better already!

@Charcoal Addict - you make some great points. BUT (there's always a "but", right?) KJ seems to have developed a very solid sustained competitive advantage at this point with their ceramic business and the ancillary products they are able to bring to market. KJ is taking a BIG bite out of BGE's and Primo's butts.

If I were a strategic consultant to KJ (that's what I do) I'd tell Bobby and The Boys to focus on their core competences, drive down the experience curve, really consolidate their position vis-a-vis BGE and Primo, bank a boodle of bucks, and forget about going far afield by doing something that's as R&D intensive as an Ultra Premium kamado as you suggest.

The cost of most greenfield R&D is too high. I'd bet it's cheaper to buy than develop in house. That tactic happens all the time in business. It could happen to KJ! I have no idea what their strategic plan is, and I have no clue as to their ownership structure, but someone walks through the door with enough cash, and I guarantee you Bobby and his upper management team are heading to the bank in an armored car full of cash and another guy has the key to the front door in one hand and a newly signed noncompete in the other.

Speaking of elite series grills,

My local hardware store sells some awesome stuff, full lines on display : hisquavarna, stihl, echo, weber and now BGE Yeti. One of my boi's up there was telling me that they've sold a ton of webers, have dozen or more BGE's and none of the new expensive weber kettle that just hit the market.

First, chance I've had to see it in person and lift the lid, it was ok I guess but Imy eye kept going back to that huge price tag for a what is just (in essence) a weber kettle. Although there are many weber fanatics, and these grills have some major upgrades, people aren't buying them.......they are viewed as over-priced kettles.

Heck, I've even seen CC turn bens comment in the cooking forum that he burned a load of Fogo into a discussion on him buying a KK (left a lot of us scratching our heads) but I have to agree with him on the point that it makes more sense (for many reasons) for KJ and KK to follow their existing business models and let the kamado consumers choose which best suits their wants and needs.

@Charcoal Addict - you make some great points. BUT (there's always a "but", right?) KJ seems to have developed a very solid sustained competitive advantage at this point with their ceramic business and the ancillary products they are able to bring to market. KJ is taking a BIG bite out of BGE's and Primo's butts.

If I were a strategic consultant to KJ (that's what I do) I'd tell Bobby and The Boys to focus on their core competences, drive down the experience curve, really consolidate their position vis-a-vis BGE and Primo, bank a boodle of bucks, and forget about going far afield by doing something that's as R&D intensive as an Ultra Premium kamado as you suggest.

The cost of most greenfield R&D is too high. I'd bet it's cheaper to buy than develop in house. That tactic happens all the time in business. It could happen to KJ! I have no idea what their strategic plan is, and I have no clue as to their ownership structure, but someone walks through the door with enough cash, and I guarantee you Bobby and his upper management team are heading to the bank in an armored car full of cash and another guy has the key to the front door in one hand and a newly signed noncompete in the other.

It's not something they should rush into. It's something they might consider 4-5 years from now. KJ has a pretty full plate for the next 2-years expanding their network of accessories and redesign.

I don't think there's much R&D involved with an Refractory Cement KJ. The current design would require some re-engineering to accommodate the added weight of the Refractory cement. They would also need to purchase an existing patent for high quality Refractory Cement formula. There's no need to come-up with your own formula. They would need to find an existing manufacturing facility in China to contract to make the bodies.

The existing KJ design is fine. The new hinge could be easily adapted to a Refactory body.

KJ has already done 90% of the work. An Refractory ceramic Elite Joe would be a re-design vs heavy R&D.