SmokeMaker

Could you please help me decide which model Akorn Kamado Kooker to purchase?

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but looking for some help. I had always wanted a BGE, until I just recently noticed the Akorn Kamado Kookers, and thought that would be a better fit for my budget and needs. I'm am, however, having trouble understanding the difference between the three models I've found available, and I'm hoping some of you here can help me decide which model to get. There is very limited information on the Char Griller website, but I contacted their customer service by email, who was slow to respond, but they have assured me that the grills themselves are no different, it's just the bases/legs they come with. Can anyone here confirm that?

I had been leaning towards the  model 6520 with the cart, I thought the cart would be handy to have, but I'm concerned that the cart might be a little too flimsy, especially where the grill attaches to the cart. This model is not in stock anywhere local to me to see it in person, so I'm hoping someone here that has one can offer some advice.

And then what is the difference (if any) between the model 6719 and the model 16820?

I'd appreciate any advice, comments, or suggestions about the Kamado Kookers very much!

And perhaps this is answered elsewhere, but I have read where these grills can be prone to rusting quickly. How do you prevent that? Is there a better way to store them or a better cover I should be using? If I get one of these, I'd really like it to last as long as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help!

-SmokeMaker

Thanks for the welcome and advice! Nizzle, you feel like the cart is stable and something that will last a while? I was just afraid it might be kind of cheaply made and be prone to failing, and there isn't one I can see in person around me. Obviously, you're happy with yours?

Thanks again!

-SmokeMaker

I have both a table and side shelves on 2 separate akorns. I like the table quiet a bit on the gray ghost (looks just like above pic). It seems to give a good bit of work space. The pull up shelves on Black Betty are good but smaller. The cart is build of good materials a bit thinner than I like but still if you don't abuse it it'll last a long time. Get one of the covers from chargriller it's worth the price to keep water off grill (especially if it lives out in weather like mine). Rust is the enemy of these grills for sure. The bottom of the grill that is up against the ash pan is the worst place. This is totally controllable with some effort. Keep it dry from elements,oil the grill and cook on it often. Black Betty is 1.5 years old and Grey ghost was a used 2nd hand so not sure of its age buts it's still going strong. All this is my humble way of working and I haven't seen any issues.

Shorty_m, thanks for the reply and vote of confidence for the cart! Do you know if there's any difference in the two models with the flip up shelves? I like the model with the cart the best as long as I know the cart is well made, but that one I have to order from the Home Depot website. Lowes has one of the models with the flip up shelves in stock, and I'm tempted to go get it tonight, but maybe I should be patient and order the one with the cart. Thanks again for your help!

-SM

Pick a color, red, black, or grey. Then get a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but I just noticed your reply. Are you suggesting that they are all so similar I should just pick which color I like best?

Thanks!

-SmokeMaker

Thanks for the welcome and advice! Nizzle, you feel like the cart is stable and something that will last a while? I was just afraid it might be kind of cheaply made and be prone to failing, and there isn't one I can see in person around me. Obviously, you're happy with yours?

Thanks again!

-SmokeMaker

I feel it's built good enough and will last quite some time I would definitely get the one with the table .lots of work/prepping room.

The Akorns are simply the same grill sold under different model numbers to detonate which store sold them. Pick either side shelves or a table and/or color and you are good to go. I store mine in my garage in a small lockable room so I went for side shelves so it will fit in the space I have available as the shelves fold down.

Get a smoking stone, a Maverick thermometer an a grill brush and you will be good to go. Oh... get lump charcoal also... :-D

Yes, lump charcoal is all I ever use in my Weber kettle, of which I've had a few. The legs on the Weber kettles tend to give out before the kettle itself, which is why I'm asking so many questions about the Akorn with the cart. I'm sold on an Akorn, now I'm just trying to find out if they have the one with the cart instock anywhere local to me. 

Thanks again everyone!

-SmokeMaker

This gets discussed almost weekly - same basic question - same basic answer.

Yes they are all exactly the same except color, logo and how they are configured on the outside.

Time to lock this thread and move on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk