Big Country BBQ rub...I think I found a gem

So the other day I was watching a video on the T-roy Cooks youtube channel and he was cooking a pork butt. He mentioned the name of the rub he was using and said it was from Allen, TX. 

Well, my ears perked up because I live in Allen, TX. There are only about 100K people here and it's not that big a town so I contacted the guy. Turns out he lives 4 miles from me. So we went over there and shot the bull about bbq for about an hour. He has this awesome old homemade stick burner that his sun built 18 years ago and they have been competing with it several times a year forever.

He offered me some samples to try and use in a video if I wanted (which was great because that's what I was hoping for in the first place.)

So here's the deal. They have two rubs. One is called Bovine Dust. They developed it for brisket and said it does really well for comps. I believe it because it's smelled good. Kind of garlicy. Nothing mind blowing but I could understand how it would do well.

However, the second rub is called "Simply Unique" and it.smells.amazing! Like, I seriously think this is the best tasting rub I've tried. It's got a great mix of sweet and heat that I think would be killer on ribs or pork. 

The amazing thing is he said it doesn't sell very well. He knows they aren't great and marketing and that their website is not good enough...but this smells so freaking promising. 

Here's a link. http://bigcountrybarbecue.com

I don't have any financial interest in this at all. I'm just sharing this because I think I may have found a diamond in the rough. 

I'll try it and report back. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it? 

I need to use up some of my current stock, but when I have room in my spice/rub cooler, I'll definitely give them a try.

Might be cool to add a note that BBM referred us to them... Give or boy some props, maybe get him a little swag? Give him enough volume and might get a KG discount. Who knows, nothing but good could come from it though.

I need to use up some of my current stock, but when I have room in my spice/rub cooler, I'll definitely give them a try.

Might be cool to add a note that BBM referred us to them... Give or boy some props, maybe get him a little swag? Give him enough volume and might get a KG discount. Who knows, nothing but good could come from it though.

I really appreciate you thinking of me and I'd love it if you let them know I referred you to them if you buy. Having said that, this plug (I guess it's a plug)  isn't really about me. I think this guy has some serious bbq chops and is sitting on a winner...but it's not selling very well because he just isn't much of a salesman. It's unfortunate because it's one of the best I've ever tried out of the bag. I can't wait to try it out. 

• 11 months later...