John Setzler

BBQ Guru Party Q Temperature Control System

** Video Content has been removed ***

Here's a basic video review of the BBQ Gury Party Q temperature control system. This system is very simple, straight-forward, and easy to operate. It doesn't have any internal settings other than a couple simple menu adjustments where you can calibrated the probe, switch between C and F temperature readings, and see the estimated remaining battery life...

This thing works great!

Thanks for the video.

No Auber? IrvinF will be disappointed.

Is a battery operated temp controller the standard? I like that. I always thought I had to run extension cords all over the patio to operate one.

Thanks for the video.

No Auber? IrvinF will be disappointed.

Is a battery operated temp controller the standard? I like that. I always thought I had to run extension cords all over the patio to operate one.

This is the only battery operated one I'm aware of. My DigiQ requires a power connection. I believe this would make it non-standard in that aspect, but it's one of the features I like about this one. Based on what I saw, I could run it for another 15-20 hours before having to worry about replacing the batteries. The efficiency of the cooker will determine how much the fan has to run. As we know, kamados are very efficient. Kamados are so efficient that, in reality, these devices aren't really needed. They are nice to have for the peace of mind aspect of running an unattended grill, but I have successfully run two overnight cooks on kamados without the help of a temp controller.

I really like the PartyQ because it has been very easy to maintain temperature at 225F or 350F during the summer and fall. I am using it tomorrow with Lithium batteries in -20 to -26 C. WIth wind chill if feels like -30C. I am going to set the PartyQ for 450F and once temperature stabilizes on the Vision Classic the plan is for some beer can chickens for Christmas Eve. I already prepped the Kamodo tonight with Charcoal and Pecan wood chucks and starter (2 x lighting nugget).

John wonder how it would work at different temps like 225-350* and different grills like the CGK, UDS, and Big Joe. As always nice video.

I've cooked at everything from 200 to 400F on the Akorn and a Weber 22inch kettle with good success. I think the trick is settling the top vent to work "sympathetically" with the PartyQ, which has a constant, passive, opening.

On the Akorn, for example, i find a top vent settling just shy of 1, when combined with the PartyQs opening, will pretty much park the grill at around 220-240. Similarly a top vent setting of ~2 will hold the grill at around 375F. So long as the top vent is set according the PartyQ has to do very little active "work".

It's a similar story with the top vent on my kettle but the fan does tend to be more active on Weber cooks than Akorn cooks. I did 17hours on the Akorn a couple of days ago and the battery meter was still at 82%, but i've seen a 9 hour weber cook leave the meter around 40%.

This was a great video and convinced me to purchase one. I did a 12 hour brisket on my vision pro and I bet I adjusted every hour in the pouring rain. My brisket turned out very dry but had a 1/4 inch smoke ring on it. I was very disappointed. Maybe with this I will try another.

BSA,

It will make the cook easier but it's probably not going to effect the outcome.

FWIW, my briskets were dry for years. They got a lot better when I changed to "choice" grade brisket and sped up the cooking process either through cooking hotter, foiling, or both.

(That last sentence sums up 2 years of frustration and hundreds of dollars of dry brisket. Funny how it seems so simple in retrospect.)

I did have a choice brisket however it was a flat from costco. The flavor was good but in the end I ended up tossing most of it. I was going to make chili with the leftovers but Christmas got in the way. I just looked on the bbq party q website but it seems they do not have an adapter for the vision pro. I tried to call but they were closed for the day. On a better note, my lodge 5 qt pot arrived today and on Wednesday I am going to try bread in the grill. We will see what happens.

Oh, i did foil it and tried to keep a 250 temp. My temps were all over the place but not over 300 at any time. I cooked it to 205 but in retrospect, i think 185 would have been enough. I think when it rested it really dried out. I will try another sometime when the prices get better.

This might be a few months to late but I was on their website yesterday and they had an adapter for what they called the vision classic smoker which I am assuming is the vision classic. The adapter and party q together priced at 145 which to me seems like a really good deal if no one has any complaints on the workings yet