John Setzler

Challenge - toss out your thermometer

My challenge to you is to cook a boston butt with no grill, meat, or instant read thermometer. Document your process with pictures and information about each step in the process. Include why you do what you do and when.

Lesson to be learnd here:

1. How to know when the meat is ready

2. You dont need any fancy gadgets

3. Specific cooking temperatures are not needed to make great barbecue.

Anyone up for this challenge? I plan to do it this week but its a cheat for me since i have done it before.

I can handle that. I don't need a grill or dome thermometer to get my Grill set and going in the 250* range. Start probing at around the 7 hour mark and every 30 minutes there after until probe tender.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll try.

Reef's Bistro

@John Setzler - awwww, c'mon man!  Let's do something challenging!  This is like falling off a log!  Been there, done that.  Okay, I'm in for this weekend.  

Is there a prize like in the regular challenges or is this all about the warm fuzzy?  Either way, I'm all over this.  I've got my skewer ready for action.  Let the games begin!

Yeah, once you know your grill, this isn't hard...

I know what vent settings get me into roughly the 250 degree range. 

From there it's just a matter of probe tenderness...

Can I still use my instant-read with it turned off as a probe?  :rofl:

While I am sure I could do it. The maverick let's me cook and keep an eye on the food while not being anywhere near the grill.

Ben, I think you are slightly missing the point. I'm sure there are many people confident they could do it. The point of this challenge is to actually try. Now if you just don't care I understand but by a few people actually doing it, this might show new members just how insignificant exact numbers are. Also this will test ones knowledge of their grill, of butt cooks and of probe tender.

Although I am confident you could easily pull this off I encourage you to take an afternoon and try. Would love to see your results. I say afternoon because the first 6 or 7 hours should be no monitoring (if you know your grill - which I'm sure you do)

Reef's Bistro

Can I still use my instant-read with it turned off as a probe? :rofl:

I was thinking the same thing as that's the best probe I got. I figure whatever - no cheating or you're only cheating yourself. I'm actually thinking to get Mrs skreef to take some temperature readings along the way and write down the time - just not tell me. When it's all said and done will be interesting to see how close I was.

Reef's Bistro