Sign in to follow this  
zombiehunter

Ahhhh first cook anxiety!

Trimmed the skin/gross fat off my 8ish pound butt and probably have 7ish left. Rubbed it nicely, stuck it in the fridge until the rain stopped. Now I'm at 200 degrees and still ticking up but have the top and bottom down to ~0.5 each. Really hoping this settles out in the 225 range. I used one cotton ball and Wegman Lump...the anticipation is killing me. Or maybe I'm just hungover from day drinking...

202 degrees...

I went around the seals with a lighter. No noticeable pulling on the flame. I've got the bottom vent like 3/16" open and the top like 1/8" but steadily climbing...270 degrees :/

Woke up and the grill temp was still reading 285. Moved my probe because I think I had it in too deep and now my IT is 189. I'm just sitting here chanting "I will not chase temps...I will not chase temps..." It's been on since 2230 and it's now 0700 Eastern Time. I'm figuring another few hours and hoping I can get the temps down a bit. It looked tasty though :) The bone doesn't wiggle yet so I think I still have plenty of time. 

It's gonna be just fine. The worrying part is the hardest. Sometimes we get too concerned over pit temps which increases the worrying factor exponentially  But, you know what, the butt doesn't care one bit.

I used to think 225 was great for pork butts on my Akorn but now I shoot for the 275 to 300 degree range. Get a faster cook without the stall and the taste and texture is almost the same. I say almost because I think I get a better bark formed at the higher temps.

Everyone enjoyed it :) Ended up on for 10 and a half hours, pulled it off at an IT of 198. Wrapped it in foil and some towels and let it rest for a few hours then shredded it and took it to the lake. Tempted everyone with my savory meat and some eyebrow wiggles. Hoping next time to do a lower temp for a little longer but the bone pulled right out and it had a decent bark. Going to try my next one this week but use an actual pork rub instead of Montreal Steak Seasoning heh. 

How do I post pics?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      they've been on for a bit, cruising at 215°f.  Going to finish each one differently but still debating the details.

• By HokieOC
      This weekend I'm attempting my first dual-cook, a pork shoulder/butt and a brisket flat.  I have a KJ Classic and an Akorn Jr, so I could do the pork on the Junior and brisket on the classic and not worry about it.  But for the sake of only using one grill for two things that cook generally the same in terms of temp (also admittedly, I just kinda want to try it), I'm planning to use the extender rack on the KJ, put the butt on that then add the flat under it a few hours later as I'm anticipating less time for the flat than the butt (Never done just a flat, only packers, but I think the flats take less time?).  

Has anyone ever done this?  My only concern is the butt dripping fat all over the brisket, not sure if that will change the flavor or get it all greasy and it's a big no-no?  Or will it not mess with the flat at all and if anything make it better from dripping fat all over it and keeping it from drying out?

Thanks!
    • By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps,
      Has ana awesome weekend.
      My friend did a low and slow leg of lamb on the Webber kettle and left it in sauce with the aim of enhancing the gravy. It sure did and pulled apart beautifully on the rolls, he also did not use any wood just natural spices.    
      So I had to do a cook myself. Went to this new meat shop (meat emporium Sydney) and the selection and quality is really good. I walked out over budget and decided to do some pork ribs a monster pcs.
      Spice: Pepper, salt, garlic, mustard, onion, paprika, sugar and cayenne pepper  
      Wood: Cheery and 1pcs pecan
      3 2 1 method – full proof as always, some 5-6 hours later yummy
      Keep smoking ….

• By pmillen
      I smoke-roasted this in a Karubecue C-60 stick burner but previous cooks were done in a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 pellet pit.  I think it would cook up well in a kamado.  It's the best thing I've ever cooked.

I doubled the recipe for a dinner party.

Ingredients
      One bone-in pork loin roast
      2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
      2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
      2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      Salt and pepper to taste

Optional Pan Sauce 
      ¾ cup dry vermouth or white wine
      1 cup water
      Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1.  Trim off unneeded fat and silverskin to expose the meat to the rub.

2.  Rub the roast all over with mustard.  Sprinkle it with the thyme, sage, garlic, salt and pepper, patting so the seasonings will adhere.

3.  Put the loin back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
      4.  Preheat pit to 350° F.
      5.  Place the loin in the pit, bones down, until it reaches an internal temperature of 145° to 150° F.

6.  Remove the roast from the oven, place it on a cutting board, tent it with foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, if desired, make a pan sauce
      7.  Place roasting pan over high heat. 
      8.  Add the vermouth and water. 
      9.  Bring to a boil, scraping up all the browned bits. 
      10.  Continue to boil until reduced by about half.
      11.  Slice the pork into chops and serve, drizzling each serving with the pan juices.
    • By JohnnyAppetizer
      first stop....

we continued in southwardly  direction...

as seen in another  thread

sausage, tom thumbs