Lump: More Weight doesn't = More Lump in a Bag

How many people use the weight of a bag to determine how much lump they're are getting in each bag?

That's the tricky thing. 20lbs of lump brand A might actually contain less pieces than lump brand B.

Fogo has a greater volume of lump per a Bag than Quebracho. Fogo is listed at 36 lbs while Quebracho is listed at 40 lbs. Oddly enough, you actually get more pieces per a bag of Fogo than you do in a bag of Quebracho. Fogo is a relatively light lump while Quebracho is very dense and heavy. You actually get more lump with Fogo at 36 lbs than you do with Quebracho at 40 lbs.

The same could be said with KJ and Quebracho. There's less volume lump in a 40 lbs of KJ lump versus the volume of lump you get with 40 lbs of Quebracho. On average, KJ pieces are denser and heavier than the Quebracho lump.

Weight doesn't always tell you how much lump there is in a bag.

Wouldn't heavier lump burn longer though?

Most of the time. I wouldn't say that either. KJ and Quebracho about the same density. I find KJ lump burns longer and produces less ash than Quebracho. It has more to do with high standard of processing in the KJ lump.

All you need to know about charcoal:

Put some in the grill.

Light it.

Place your food over it.

Let it cook.

:)

It should be that simple if every brand focused on the quality of what they put in the bag. KJ burns clear and has a pleasant smell while Blue Bag RO shoots black smoke out of your chimney and makes your yard smell like smelly skunk jumped your fence with two buddies and had party in yard.

I always shake my head at guys complaining about Fogo being a rip off on Amazon when you actually get more lump per a bag than most brands.

I always shake my head at guys complaining about Fogo being a rip off on Amazon when you actually get more lump per a bag than most brands.

How are you defining MORE??
More pieces and more cubic volume.

Denser doesn't always equal better. RO is heavier and denser than Fogo; Fogo burns longer, smells nicer and produces less ash even though it lighter than RO.

Kebroak is heavier and denser than Basques but Basques burns longer and performs better.

Most of the time, picking a favortite lump is trial and error. Some brands that should impress you are disappointing and brands you think would suck are far better than you realize.

Denser doesn't always equal better. RO is heavier and denser than Fogo; Fogo burns longer, smells nicer and produces less ash even though it lighter than RO.

Kebroak is heavier and denser than Basques but Basques burns longer and performs better.

Most of the time, picking a favortite lump is trial and error. Some brands that should impress you are disappointing and brands you think would suck are far better than you realize.

There is no way RO is denser than Fogo. Not in the many bags I have burnt through.

There is no way RO is denser than Fogo. Not in the many bags I have burnt through.

I just bought 3 bags of Fogo from Amazon and the pieces are ridiculously light. I have some Blue Bag RO left over from 2 years ago. There's no doubt the similar average RO piece is heavier. It doesn't matter. The Fogo is 10x better than the crappy RO.

its all still measurebating. Light the charcoal and cook the food. All lump charcoal works. Of course we have our preferences but you cant quantify your opinions of 'better' here. If your lump charcoal smells bad something else is going on. All lump charcoal will be mostly odorless once you have a clean burn going and the charcoal is dry.