Quick Change Propane Gas Insert

Cu88y

I just received the Pro-S Series as a father's day gift and am excited to begin using it.  I saw on the Vision web site that they have a LP insert which looks appealing for quick things like burgers etc.  I would like to hear reviews, comments, and so forth from those who have tried it.  I am wondering if I start to do most of my cooking with lump charcoal on the Vision and then LP when in a hurry if I could feel good about selling my Weber to cover the cost of this accessory.  It is $250 at HD but that includes the lava stone which the grill did not come with but that I want anyway.  Thanks for any response.

That accessory sounds really good to me. I live in the mountains of  Prescott Arizona. Every year, usually from the week before July 4th until mid September we are on mandatory fire restrictions due to the extreme wild fire danger. Any cooking device  that produces an ash is banned during this time. A propane kamado would allow me to use my kamado and be in compliance with the restrictions. In addition, I think the propane burner insert would give you versatility, after all the Komodo Kamado comes with a propane insert and thats about as high end as you can get. . 

If it were me, I would try a few "quick" high heat cooks on the Kamado before making the leap to gas.  Starting the Kamado to high temperatures is a breeze (with the electric starter or an oiled paper towel) and the smoke doesn't stay as white as long.

What WOULD take longer, however, is snuffing out the fire, and switching between the two fuels may be a barrier to efficient use.

Thanks, good things to consider. Can you explain what you mean by this? "and the smoke doesn't stay as white as long".

When you first start a lump charcoal fire in a Kamado, the coals are cold and may have some moisture in them and the smoke will generally be white and give the meat an acrid taste.  Once the coals have reached a certain temperature, perhaps they are dry, or the heat burns the wood and consumes the gases more fully, the smoke settles down to a thin "blue" and is what imparts a nice mellow flavour to the meat (corrected).  

If you are doing a "low and slow" cook, where the meat is in contact with the smoke for a long time, this is rather important for good taste.  For a quick hot sear type cook, this is less important AND the hotter temperature clears the white billowy smoke faster for better flavour quicker.

One of the byproducts of combustion of Propane is water.

Given that a kamado by nature tends to retain moisture more readily than a normal grill, using propane should make it even more damp.

Doesn't mean it's a bad idea, just something to keep in mind.