Don't forget to burp!

Just a reminder to everyone, please don't forget to burp your kamado! I got in a bit of a rush today while grilling some chicken which flared up while I was taking them off. I closed the lid and the vents but forgot to flip over the diffuser so I started opening it back up when I heard a rushing wind sound and felt the hot air race by my fingers. I made out ok...did burn one finger pretty good but considered it could have been a lot worse. Be mindful of back drafts folks! If the handle was a bit higher or there was some kind of shield in front of my fingers I probably would have been ok. Or maybe I would have continued to open it to a bigger burn, who knows. Please be careful people.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

As long as along with the gloves you put on an awareness of what is happening inside your kamado. If you are reducing a fire even a little bit you can always have a flash when you open the lid and the fire jumps to eat the oxygen you fed it. You just have to stay focused on what you did and are doing and  how that affects your fire. I am really getting to like those Blue Fire Kevlar gloves I got on Amazon. 

I here you lumpy_coal, I even burp my gas BBQ (out of habit) when ever I actually use it. Welders gloves are in a container right next to my Kamado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I burp my gasser also.  lol

I've only encountered this under specific circumstances involving high heat cooking and after choking the fire. Never had this happen For low and slow. For example, cooking steaks at 500 degrees for a while and then closing down the vents a lot for several minutes. I think it's due to all of those hot coals suddenly starved for air after raging on for so long prior. Whenever I grill hot and fast, I always burp, but low and slow not a concern to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk