A vegan’s Journey to BBQ

Koomoodoo

I promised my 2nd post would not be as controversial as my 1st one. Hopefully, I can explain without getting the carnivores bend out of shape. 

First a little about me… I’ve always enjoyed cooking. I’ve been told I’m good at it. I get invited to parties not because of my shining personality but because I make a mean smoked salmon and If I don’t bring it with me, I am not invited in.

I used to have a fleet of BBQ: Two gas grill, a Texas pit and finally a BGE. Once I got the BGE out went the gas grill and the pit and never looked back. I also worked in an industry where I got to meet many of the owners/innovators of our hobby as well as some of the Grand Prize winners of the BBQ circuit. Since I used to travel extensively through North America, I seriously considered becoming a judge on the BBQ circuit at one point.

I am tall, slim with no health issues. So why would the wife & I who absolutely love BBQ would give up meat you say? Well it got to a point where we enjoyed eating less and less red meat, then pork was not as appetizing as it used to be. Then Chicken became ho-hum which left fish. And then came some health problems and we saw the documentary “Forks over Knives” and we thought let’s try it for a little while and see what happens.

Three years later we’ve never felt better and both of us lost weight without even trying.

So what do we eat? I’m not a big fan of salads – we have them but I would not last long on rabbit food. If you enjoy potatoes, rice,  bread etc.. the entire universe of cooking is opened to you. Italian, Asian you name it, is available and delicious. I would argue that since I became Vegan I am a better cook as we experiment a whole lot with different style of cooking and spices. You can also google ‘vegan BBQ’ and see the variety of stuff that can still be done on the BBQ.

However, we are not ‘preachy’ about it. Since the majority of our friends and family are carnivores, I will still make meat dishes on the BBQ for them. If we get invited somewhere and they plunk down a steak in front of me, I will eat the steak (however my body  lets me know its not used to it anymore since it has issues um… expulsing the stuff out :shock: )

However, when we do serve meat we buy the ‘good stuff’. That is, critters that have not been penned in stressful environment, not fed antibiotics or hormones, free range etc… our guests and ourselves seem to feel there is a difference in taste and quite possibly better for your health.  

BTW, we still like the taste of meat but now when I eat it a mouthful or two is enough to satisfy me.

I don’t want this to be a controversial thread about the pro’s & cons of meat vs non-meat but rather explaining the journey why some would choose that path.

I still have some good meat recipe that I’d like to post on this site if I’m still allowed… :roll:

PS. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent vegetarian bacon that exists.  :sad:

Koomoodoo - thanks for this post. My youngest brother is a strict vegan and trying to cook for him just about has me bamboozeled. I though Boca Burgers might do ... He doesn't like them.

The saving grace in this deal is he now brings his own food and plenty more to share. He's made a really nice vegan chili, some great veggie dishes with eggplant, etc. going vegan has actually made him a better cook!

I'm looking forward to you posting your cooks. I'd like the inspiration and to be able to surprise him when he hits the front door this coming football season!

What exactly is the difference between a Vegan and a Vegetarian out of curiosity. 

Vegetarian is someone who wont eat meat. But they will eat any other animal products ie Cheese, eggs, honey etc... 

Full on Vegans are those who abstain of all of the above including wearing leather, animal furs etc...

Although there are as many variety of the above as there are individuals. For example, I'll eat some meat sometimes and hone. I also have leather shoes and belts etc... I depends why you are doing it. Those who are in it for health reason is mainly a dietary choice. Those who are doing it for philosophical reasons ie animal welfare tend to be more strict about it.

Then there is Rawism They are vegan but believe food should not be cooked at all. I have had some of the best 'cheesecake' in my life in a Raw restaurant (non-dairy of course). 

I know... but before you pass judgement you should try a vegan or raw restaurant sometimes. It will blow your mind away to how good food can be. See some typical recipes here with beautiful pictures. https://nouveauraw.com

No judgement here, just interest. I like a lot of vegetable dishes, however most of the ones I like have butter, cheese,  or other dairy products. I looked at the website you posted. Some of those dishes looked very good. How do they bind ingredients together without dairy, eggs, or cooking it?

Koomoodoo - thanks for this post. My youngest brother is a strict vegan and trying to cook for him just about has me bamboozeled. I though Boca Burgers might do ... He doesn't like them.

Here is something you can do that will please everybody: A DIY burrito or Pizza party.

For the Burrito, prepare in advance all your condiments and place them in small bowls (all the various raw & cooked veggies, re-friend beans, cheese, meats, mexican rice etc...) When it comes to condiments the choices are endless. For your fried veggies (different color bell peppers, mushroom, onions etc.) dont put too much oil to fry them. Get a package of mexican spices at the grocery store and throw it in there. Then let everyone create their own burrito.

For the pizza pretty much the same thing. Get small frozen or ready to bake pizza crust (Naan bread works well also). Make a few different base sauces. for ex. I crush some garlic in olive oil and your can brush it on the dough, Red pizza sauce of course and if you want a white pizza sauce get some alfredo sauce at the grocery store (although there is dairy product in there so only for the carvivores). You can have as many condiments as your imaginations allow you.

The great thing about doing it this way is if your guests dont like what they are eating they only have themselves to blame. But, I've done this a few times and it's always been a hit with everyone. 

A word of caution: poeple tend to overfill their burrito and pizza which makes your BBQ messy and wont cook through properly. Tell everyone not to put too much condiments. they can come for seconds or thirds (or more) and that way they can experiment with different combinations.

If you are using your Komodo get a brick or something heavy to lay on top of your burrito (seam down on the plate setter so the seam can seal) and use corn meal on the plate setter so the pizza dont stick. 

There's also some layered rice recipes from around the world you could do something similar.

Have fun!

Some of those dishes looked very good. How do they bind ingredients together without dairy, eggs, or cooking it?

Not sure. I looked into trying some recipes but in order to cook that way looks very time and labour intensive. Lots of prep like dehydrate, ferment, food processing etc.. It's a diet that also seem to have lots of nuts in it.

It looks great but I just dont have the time. 

While I don't plan on giving up meat, I am definitely looking to improve my veggie bbq dishes. I just feel like we spend so much effort on our protein and almost none on our veggies- which one do you think is going to have better results??? I look forward to seeing your posts.

I still use my grill primarily for meat lovers when they come to my house.

However, I will do some stir fry on it. Not too complicated but it can be tricky. I also have a great potato salad ( I grill the potatoes and veggies). I'll share the recipe and pics next time I make it.

I also finish my baked beans on the BGE on low smoke to give it that nice smoky flavour. 

There are also so many good veggie burger paddies on the Internet that even meat lovers would enjoy. Like everything else about cooking half the fun is in experimenting. 

I know... but before you pass judgement you should try a vegan or raw restaurant sometimes. It will blow your mind away to how good food can be. See some typical recipes here with beautiful pictures. https://nouveauraw.com

I always think that sort of thing is interesting. I've traveled extensively as well, and I'm into craft beer. When you go to Utah, they have (or had, it's been a couple years) a strict limit on draft beer of 4% ABV / 3.2% ABW. Their brewers were forced into a difficult position of trying to develop flavor in a very low-alcohol beer. To see how they accomplished that feat (and they had some delicious beers) was always very interesting.

I think the constraints of vegetarianism or veganism can be similar. You can't just throw sausage, or cheese, or egg into a dish to richen it up with fat. You need to REALLY think about how to develop flavor and make a dish satisfying. It can lead to all sorts of new an interesting methods/techniques/etc.

Some of those dishes looked very good. How do they bind ingredients together without dairy, eggs, or cooking it?

Not sure. I looked into trying some recipes but in order to cook that way looks very time and labour intensive. Lots of prep like dehydrate, ferment, food processing etc.. It's a diet that also seem to have lots of nuts in it.

It looks great but I just dont have the time.

It does take a little more time but I found that its not that big of an issue. Of course it's just my wife and I for the most part. We would have a plant based protein shake in the morning, quinoa and back beans for lunch along with a salad or fresh fruit. Dinner would require a little more planning, salt and pepper fried tofu or a sietan, based fake meat that I put together. We are now back to eating meat, but only on weekends. During the week its all plant based.

Recently (last 6 months) have started eating a more plant based diet. Overall I like it. If I can add more vegan stuff into my BBQ world Ill be tickled pink. Any recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Sub'd

Do y'all eat venison??? Best free range meat

I live in a city so venison is hard to come by. However, as mentioned I try not to eat meat and if I do It's just a condiment. I'm no expert but I would think venison is a much healthier meat than anything commercially grown.