A vegan’s Journey to BBQ

Koomoodoo

Recently (last 6 months) have started eating a more plant based diet. Overall I like it. If I can add more vegan stuff into my BBQ world Ill be tickled pink. Any recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Sub'd

I'm limited in time but eventually I'll post some recipes guaranteed to please both vegans and carnivores alike. Once you've served a meal without meat and all your carnivores dont notice and comes for seconds is when you've hit the sweet spot as far as cooking goes.

Here a quick and simple recipe that everyone loves.

Spicy baked potato wedges...

Cut potatoes into thick slices or wedges. 

• In a ziploc bag put a little bit of oil*, crushed garlic, steak spice, dry chipotle spices (or other hot pepper spice), maybe some finely chopped onions.
  • Throw the potatoes in there and toss to make sure they are all coated evenly.
  • Bake at 375 until done and golden brown (if you have a convection oven turn fan on as it speeds the browning). You could also bake on your Kamodo if you want that smoky flavor. 
  • Serve with your favorite condiment et voila! It's super simple and always been a hit.

Of course your can experiment with any spices you like...

* a note on oil. Oil is fat and the fat you eat is the fat you wear... It also has been found that all vegetable oils when cooked change their molecular structure and become carcinogenic. Surprisingly enough this is one instance where animal fat is superior. The purpose of the oil in this recipe is not for flavoring but so the potatoes dont stick to the backing pan. You may want to use baking paper instead or something else. Or you could try a little bit of Coconut oil, it is the least objectionable when heated.

All the best and let me know what you think.

Recently (last 6 months) have started eating a more plant based diet. Overall I like it. If I can add more vegan stuff into my BBQ world Ill be tickled pink. Any recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Sub'd

I'm limited in time but eventually I'll post some recipes guaranteed to please both vegans and carnivores alike. Once you've served a meal without meat and all your carnivores dont notice and comes for seconds is when you've hit the sweet spot as far as cooking goes.

Here a quick and simple recipe that everyone loves.

Spicy baked potato wedges...

Cut potatoes into thick slices or wedges. 

• In a ziploc bag put a little bit of oil*, crushed garlic, steak spice, dry chipotle spices (or other hot pepper spice), maybe some finely chopped onions.
  • Throw the potatoes in there and toss to make sure they are all coated evenly.
  • Bake at 375 until done and golden brown (if you have a convection oven turn fan on as it speeds the browning). You could also bake on your Kamodo if you want that smoky flavor. 
  • Serve with your favorite condiment et voila! It's super simple and always been a hit.

Of course your can experiment with any spices you like...

* a note on oil. Oil is fat and the fat you eat is the fat you wear... It also has been found that all vegetable oils when cooked change their molecular structure and become carcinogenic. Surprisingly enough this is one instance where animal fat is superior. The purpose of the oil in this recipe is not for flavoring but so the potatoes dont stick to the backing pan. You may want to use baking paper instead or something else. Or you could try a little bit of Coconut oil, it is the least objectionable when heated.

All the best and let me know what you think.

This works for a lot of different vegetables, especially squashes, cauliflower, eggplant, brussel sprouts. 

Large portobello mushrooms are a great alternative to the burger. Season and grill them, and into a bun

I know tofu gets a lot of bad rep, but I take firm tofu, divide in half and add weight to the top to press and drain excess water. At that point, fry it in a little bit of oil. When lightly golden fried, remove from oil, and season however you like. Texture wise it will remind you of french fry. It will take to whatever you throw it into.

I use them in salads, and will routinely pull them from the oil, season with curry spices and salt.