How terrible is the thermometer?

nvestr

Dome temperature is going to be way cooler than grill temperature in any BBQ or oven! Two different places!

I think I you just have to learn to cook with your unit.... a BGE is going to read different than a PB. Cook and learn. If you want to add extra or new thermometers, you are still going to have to experiment and adjust to how your unit functions.

I bought a teltru,  it's about 20 degrees lower than my maverick but stays 20 degrees off so I'm satisfied with it. 

Just get something like this. You can find them cheaper on sale sometimes. 

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick--732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467781380&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Mavericj+et732

Dome temperature is going to be way cooler than grill temperature in any BBQ or oven! Two different places!

I think I you just have to learn to cook with your unit.... a BGE is going to read different than a PB. Cook and learn. If you want to add extra or new thermometers, you are still going to have to experiment and adjust to how your unit functions.

I put a thermocouple right next to the factory probe. I am pretty sure the 200+ degree difference was not due to the 1/8" difference in location. The picture below is bad, but it got worse as the temp went up. It was also not consistent. Even after the grill sits at a steady temp for an hour, the PB thermometer does not settle down to the point where you could apply a conversion factor and get within 50 degrees.

post-11453-0-51397600-1467856948_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a TelTru for a Big Green Egg - seems to work great - the needle moves quickly and smoothly. Does not appear to have the same delayed and inaccurate reactions that the OEM had. The TelTru is definitely showing much higher temps than the other was... That being said, the TelTru is showing higher temp readings than by ThermoPro digital probe that is on the main grill (OEM was showing much lower)... I always thought the grill would be warmer than the dome... Perhaps the TelTru needs to break in or should I be calibrating it... I saw the TelTru showing about 50-75 degrees warmer than grill temp... As the cook went on, that difference grew smaller but the Tel Tru was showing much warmer throughout... Normal?

If anyone wants to see pics of how the Tel-Tru looks on the Pit Boss, let me know... It does stick out quite a bit more than the OEM because of the calibration bolt behind it...

No doubt residual heat rises, but the radiant heat closer to the coals should be higher at the grate level than in the top of the dome... If your theory of physics holds up, then a raised grate cook should be hotter than a main grate cook...

No doubt residual heat rises, but the radiant heat closer to the coals should be higher at the grate level than in the top of the dome... If your theory of physics holds up, then a raised grate cook should be hotter than a main grate cook...

First off, I have a LOT of experience in kamados. Second I hold 2 degrees in engineering. Third, why do you think most folks who cook pizzas here get the pie as high in the dome as they can? There is always a temp gradient in kamados. Hotter in the dome. Less hot on the grate. But then,.,what do I know?

Have done any research yourself? Have you thought of suspending a probe at various levels in your kamado? You can very easily do the experiment for yourself. Publish the results here. There's a helluva difference between "Thinking" and "Knowing."

TOTALLY WRONG! Once the pit temp is settled, there is very little difference in the grate vs. the dome temp. You just won't see it if you keep opening your dome often, like a lot of people do. That is also assuming your thermometers are accurate......

post-3565-0-17750300-1469808172_thumb.pn

If you want to verify the accuracy of your dome thermometer and you have a known accurate BBQ compatible thermometer,  thermally join the two probes together and compare the readings.  For example you could wire them together so that the metal probe surfaces have as large an area of tight contact as possible.  Adding some cooking oil to the interface between them would also improve the thermal connection.

If you want to verify the accuracy of your dome thermometer and you have a known accurate BBQ compatible thermometer,  thermally join the two probes together and compare the readings.  For example you could wire them together so that the metal probe surfaces have as large an area of tight contact as possible.  Adding some cooking oil to the interface between them would also improve the thermal connection.

HUH???!!!...smh!  Why not just boil in water and do an ice bath test. You can adjust for altitude and barometric pressure. I already know that water boils at 210.x*F where I live: http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

HUH???!!!...smh!  Why not just boil in water and do an ice bath test. You can adjust for altitude and barometric pressure. I already know that water boils at 210.x*F where I live: http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

That assumes that the temperature response curve of the dome thermometer is linear throughout its range of actual cooking temperatures.  This cannot be assumed.

You can easily have two thermometers that are identical at 32F and 212F but wildly different at 400F.

Linearity? What? How do you know that your reference is linear and accurate across such a wide range as 32° to 212°. No imetallic is. Who are we kidding here? Even the best Bimetallic Tel-Tru isn't going to be linear. Besides I'm willing to bet you can't control your Pit Boss within +/- 25° so what's your point? Dead on accuracy is nothing but a pipe dream with bimetallics. It's time to get real and pull your head out of your Theory of Thermometry textbook and get in the real world.

If you want the kind of thermometry accuracy, get an electronic not a bimetallic.

Well, it ended up that my ThermoPro gril probe went bad and was the reason for the discrepancy. Today I tried throwing both my food and grill probes on the grill in the exact same spot. Here are the results, not to mention how the Tel Tru looks on a pit boss. Tel Tru is dead on!!

post-11743-0-13570500-1470269967_thumb.j

post-11743-0-93110100-1470269983_thumb.j

Well, it ended up that my ThermoPro gril probe went bad and was the reason for the discrepancy. Today I tried throwing both my food and grill probes on the grill in the exact same spot. Here are the results, not to mention how the Tel Tru looks on a pit boss. Tel Tru is dead on!!

Tel-Tru's run on the nads. I have never seen one that wasn't accurate.