Booted out

This site is no longer about my Kamado. It is about a select group who pay for view. Much valuable information is no longer available to Joe. As one of the original members this change really sucks.

As web designer and digital marketer, I don't agree with changes either. I understand the need to generate revenue to support the site. I don't believe members should have to pay to contribute or view basic content.

The changes will reduce the quality and amount of content being posted on the site. The same content can be posted on the vendor forums and BBQ Brethren free of charge.

Paid memberships should be based on value added features that improve the user experience.

I'll continue to support KG, but I won't pay a fee to read or post reviews. Audio Chat, paid Classified Ad's, etc..are better ways to generate revenue.

KG does a good job generating traffic. Members should be willing to pay John a small fee to post classifieds to buy/sell goods on KG. KG is the best place for guys to sell Kamado accessories.

I’ve been on a variety of message boards the last decade and when an aggressive pricing model takes off it has a negative impact on attracting and retaining members. Don’t get me wrong because I know forums have upkeep cost, but $25 for 6 months is ridiculous.I personally wouldn't pay it because I've seen this exact situation play out before.Look in the mirror and at other members. The vast majority of you are over 50 years old, male, and single; after the summer is over this place will be a grave yard and bickering will (even more so) take hold. A stagnant message board always fails.

I’m 32, have a wife, 2 kids and 1 on the way, 3 dogs, 1 car payment, student loans, and a mortgage on a new construction house in the suburbs. If you plan on keeping and attracting more traffic you have to ensure that a variety of people can come around and feel included. Part of that inclusion is allowing people to talk about things that aren’t just cooker specific.

With that said I realize my place on this board because I haven’t paid money, not heavy poster, or shared that many pictures; but if you ever expect to turn lurkers into participants you have to maintain a healthy and diverse group of participants. There is no shortage of BBQ related cooking forums and most of us are participants at multiple sites, so chose your destiny wisely.

Sometimes when you threaten to take all your toys home and go home, your friends find better friends.

I feel the same way and also understand that nothing is for free. But when the lifetime subscription also goes up at the same time some of the threads are protected it seems odd. I was looking at a membership when these changes were first approached and I believe it was $90 US. Which is still enough, but when you consider it in CDN dollars it was ~$120 (now it would be over $130). I can think of better ways to spend a $130 then reading 3 threads on the forum.

I had lurked here for some time before becoming a member in 2012 and have seen the explosion of new members over the last couple of years. I have to think that was not all due to Google or a burgeoning curiosity in Kamado's. I know that I have turned many people on to this site as an excellent resource for not just Kamado cooking but just cooking food over charcoal. The members her are friendly (for the most part) and are very eager to share their wisdom and experiences. I understand that the new structure does nothing to change this fact but is does add a bit of an unsavory first impression for new members checking out the forum.

I do not (nor should I) understand the reasoning for the move, but if that's what John feels is best for his forum to keep it going then I get it. I think that over the coming months the amount of material posted to those protected threads will drop off only because you will have a lot less people able to post there. After the end of summer (when most non diehards move on until May-June next year) they will probably be the most under posted threads on the forum. Members drive content, content drives new members, and new members drive subscriptions. Take out or restrict any of these things and the chain has a potential to fall apart. Without a wealth of new and changing content a forum quickly becomes forgotten.       

I think this is another thread that will soon be locked. It seems as such that the topic IS NOT up for discussion and if it's not agreed upon you can

A.) pay and go about your normal business

B.) not pay, continue to post/view in areas that are free, and be happy

C.) keep making posts about the changes and chance being locked, suspended, banned, or changing the site owner's stance on the matter

D.) leave

I think I'll take a happy medium between B and C. It was made clear to me that this is the law of the land and it's not going to change right now. John seems to have made his decision and we must respect that, whether we agree or not.

Guys,

Regardless, it's up to the owner to decide how they want to run their site. Websites are private property which we're permitted to use under the terms and conditions of the owner of the website.

Hopefully the new strategy will work. Each forum is unqiue, opinions should only be formed on facts and results.

I've built over 100 forum websites for people all over the world. I've never seen truly success implementation of pay-per-view foum nodes driving more paid memberships. I had more success with donation model and creating high value add-on's to drive paid memberships.

Paid nodes only work when you have high profile users with a cult, celebrity, huge social following who will guarantee exclusive high value content.

I don't see this strategy working. It risks alienating some people who would contribute content. It's also hard to charge for anything that was offered freely for several years.

Just for fun I will not lock this thread. I will let everyone who feels the need to post about it have the ability to do so. I will move this thread into the announcements section instead of the Akorn forum.

Thank you for allowing this discussion to happen. I hope others will offer an insightful and useful commentary here and keep it civil.

I do truly respect your efforts here and don't mean to question your motives, I'd just like to share a view from the other side of the fence on this matter. I'm fine with you trying to gain support for your efforts, if that is what you're doing; in fact, if you can make a living out of this, I salute it. I just want to see this place continue on without causing an exodus or disenfranchised sector of the community. I know you must have your reasons for not sharing your choice to move to this model, but again, I urge you to make light of them so others can see the benevolent side of it and help you achieve whatever goal you have here for this site.

People, even with a subscription level this is NOT a pay to view Forum. There is not a select group of people. The meat (pun intended) of this forum is still available for free to everyone.

When John first started up the subscriptions to help offset his costs I gladly paid. I started out paying monthly then eventually did a lifetime subscription. Everything I know about kamado cooking I learned from this forum. I can actually say this forum has made me a much better cook. Worth every penny I paid. I didn't have to I could have kept viewing for free.

Currently Mrs skreef is not a subscriber. She likes the cooler and can easily pick up my phone and check it out. With that said, last night we were talking about this. Even though she has access through my account we both feel this is an awesome forum and will get her a lifetime subscription soon. Not because she has to to read the cooler but because we want to help John offset his costs for this great forum.

I've been a member long enough to see how things go throughout the year. Yes every spring there is an influx of new members and yes every winter the forum dies down a bit. But even in the winter there is enough new content being posted it's hard to keep up. And the winter die hards are the ones posting the kewl, outside the box type cooks.

The world is not ending. If you don't want to pay then don't. You'll still get to view my awesome cooks - LOL. When John makes it so you have to pay to see my cooks then you'll have something to complain about ;-)

Reef's Bistro

Folks, 

I just don't understand the logic here. In your view is John supposed to support the forum out of his own pocket so you can participate at no cost?  Why?  Are some who make the decision to support the forum supposed to do so for the those who don't, with out any real incentive to do so? Is it wrong to give people an incentive or reward for their support? I certainly don't think so.   Those who do not choose to support KG can still continue to  read the posts, and post in general threads and sections.   The kamado cooking discussion section, the recipe section, and sections for individual kamado brands along other sections  are in the general  section as well. In reality, no one has been "Booted Out". Everyone can enjoy the general sections and has the choice to contribute a little to enjoy a little more. Doesn't sound bad or problematic to me at all. 

Look in the mirror and at other members. The vast majority of you are over 50 years old, male, and single; after the summer is over this place will be a grave yard and bickering will (even more so) take hold. A stagnant message board always fails.

Well, you got one part correct...I'm 51 years old. The rest of it, not so much. I've got 5 kids, the oldest of which begins college soon, a wife I'm celebrating 20 years of marriage with in August, a mortgage, 529 contributions, the associated costs of a seven person family, and one income. Needless to say, we do not have a huge discretionary spending budget!

That said, I paid for a lifetime supporter membership because I felt what I received from this site far exceeded the amount I paid...so much so that I've made subsequent contributions since then. If someone doesn't see the value in a membership, that's fine, they can continue enjoying what is available or search for alternate sources of information.

What I doubt, however, is your premise that the site will become a "graveyard" or "stagnant" after the summer ends because of the new policies. My belief is that this site will maintain its' vibrancy regardless, due to the passion for kamado cooking, sharing of knowledge and fellowship exhibited by the majority of the KG members.

Best of luck on your decision whether to remain a contributing (content, not money) KG member; but if you do decide to stay and contribute (paid membership or not) please use some discretion before making blanket and stereotypical comments about the rest of us.

People, even with a subscription level this is NOT a pay to view Forum. There is not a select group of people. The meat (pun intended) of this forum is still available for free to everyone.

When John first started up the subscriptions to help offset his costs I gladly paid. I started out paying monthly then eventually did a lifetime subscription. Everything I know about kamado cooking I learned from this forum. I can actually say this forum has made me a much better cook. Worth every penny I paid. I didn't have to I could have kept viewing for free.

Currently Mrs skreef is not a subscriber. She likes the cooler and can easily pick up my phone and check it out. With that said, last night we were talking about this. Even though she has access through my account we both feel this is an awesome forum and will get her a lifetime subscription soon. Not because she has to to read the cooler but because we want to help John offset his costs for this great forum.

I've been a member long enough to see how things go throughout the year. Yes every spring there is an influx of new members and yes every winter the forum dies down a bit. But even in the winter there is enough new content being posted it's hard to keep up. And the winter die hards are the ones posting the kewl, outside the box type cooks.

The world is not ending. If you don't want to pay then don't. You'll still get to view my awesome cooks - LOL. When John makes it so you have to pay to see my cooks then you'll have something to complain about ;-)

Reef's Bistro

I would like this but those have been limited, so I'll just quote you and reply with a

post-11020-0-83967600-1467318176_thumb.j

Folks, 

I just don't understand the logic here. In your view is John supposed to support the forum out of his own pocket so you can participate at no cost?  Why?  Are some who make the decision to support the forum supposed to do so for the those who don't, with out any real incentive to do so? Is it wrong to give people an incentive or reward for their support? I certainly don't think so.   Those who do not choose to support KG can still continue to  read the posts, and post in general threads and sections.   The kamado cooking discussion section, the recipe section, and sections for individual kamado brands along other sections  are in the general  section as well. 

For me the $25 for 6 months seams like a rip off. I support many other forums and I'm an admin for 2 others that I pay out of pocket to keep them running and none of them demand that much for membership. On a cigar forum that I'm on it's only $10 for the year and has far more members than here, they also have raffles and giveaways and all they ask for is a $10 donation. If you wish to donate more then it gives you more chances to win, the site sponsors are much more active and contribute in the giveaways to help support the site. 

Look in the mirror and at other members. The vast majority of you are over 50 years old, male, and single; after the summer is over this place will be a grave yard and bickering will (even more so) take hold. A stagnant message board always fails.

Well, you got one part correct...I'm 51 years old. The rest of it, not so much. I've got 5 kids, the oldest of which begins college soon, a wife I'm celebrating 20 years of marriage with in August, a mortgage, 529 contributions, the associated costs of a seven person family, and one income. Needless to say, we do not have a huge discretionary spending budget!

That said, I paid for a lifetime supporter membership because I felt what I received from this site far exceeded the amount I paid...so much so that I've made subsequent contributions since then. If someone doesn't see the value in a membership, that's fine, they can continue enjoying what is available or search for alternate sources of information.

What I doubt, however, is your premise that the site will become a "graveyard" or "stagnant" after the summer ends because of the new policies. My belief is that this site will maintain its' vibrancy regardless, due to the passion for kamado cooking, sharing of knowledge and fellowship exhibited by the majority of the KG members.

Best of luck on your decision whether to remain a contributing (content, not money) KG member; but if you do decide to stay and contribute (paid membership or not) please use some discretion before making blanket and stereotypical comments about the rest of us.

39, happily married, 2 kids and a mortgage. I have learned a ton here, and I cook year round!

I realized I am on the forum between 5-60 minutes a day. Over a year, how much is that entertainment worth to you?

$25 for 2 hr movie...