How to clean grill grates

At the end of every cook, I do a high temp burn around 550-600F for 15-20 minutes and then shut everything down. I always set an alarm on my phone so i dont forget I've got my KK running along at Warp Factor 6! The next day I run my Grill Floss over the grates, then my nylon brush over that and everything is good to go. It's just simple.

I always brush my grills right after the cook - that's to get the major chunks

off. Then every week I do a high heat - 800º F - burn that turns anything left

over on the deflector or grill grates to ash. I then use a brush to 'sweep' off

the detritus.

I always brush my grills right after the cook - that's to get the major chunks

off. Then every week I do a high heat - 800º F - burn that turns anything left

over on the deflector or grill grates to ash. I then use a brush to 'sweep' off

the detritus.

I've found that anything over 550-600 is a bit much.  Most people can torch a gasket in a big hurry at those temps.  Further, it's unnecessary to get that high a temp to clean a grate.  That's just my experience and opinion.  

I've found that anything over 550-600 is a bit much.  Most people can torch a gasket in a big hurry at those temps.  Further, it's unnecessary to get that high a temp to clean a grate.  That's just my experience and opinion.  

My Kitchen Convention Oven hits 600º F in the clean mode - maybe you are correct. 

If hitting 800º F could torch the gaskets - then Kamado Joe should compensate

all the buyers for defective units.  They brag about being able to hit Pizza Temperatures. 

How would hitting a recommended temperature damage the grill?

My Kitchen Convention Oven hits 600º F in the clean mode - maybe you are correct. 

If hitting 800º F could torch the gaskets - then Kamado Joe should compensate

all the buyers for defective units.  They brag about being able to hit Pizza Temperatures. 

How would hitting a recommended temperature damage the grill?

You have a kamado, not a wood fired pizza oven.  You expect a helluva lot if you think KJ is going to compensate you for repeatedly torching your gaskets with 800F cooks!  It's simply not their fault that you're going above and beyond what those gasket are designed to do and I think its unrealistic for you to expect KJ to indulge you repeatedly.  There is simply nothing defective with the stock gasket.  Let's get real here!

Most of us cook pizza at 500-600F which seems to work just fine and dandy.  Why you think 800F is a recommended temp is beyond my understanding.  

Most of us cook pizza at 500-600F which seems to work just fine and dandy.  Why you think 800F is a recommended temp is beyond my understanding.  

John Setzler has a YouTube Video where he's hitting 700º F for his pizza.

And on the Kamado Joe Temperature Guide Page they show searing temps 

up at 750º F.

Are you saying that KJ is recommending damaging temperatures for their Ceramics gaskets?

I recommended 800º F for cleaning - because I have found that at that temperature everything 

comes out after a few hours completely clean. As for the Gasket - if people allow the flames to

come up over the sides I can see how that would damage the gasket. However - I have no dog

in this hunt - so  if cleaning works for people at 600º F or less then who I am to care?

Edit Here: I researched the Gasket Temperature rating and have found that the Gasket supplied with 

the Kamado Joe is rated to 750º F. So you are right 800º F is not recommended for this gasket. 

Interesting fact for me - as the CostCo roadshow Salesman (when I bought my grill)  told me that

850º F was safe on the Kamado.

Joe.

up at 750º F.

Are you saying that KJ is recommending damaging temperatures for their Ceramics gaskets?

I recommended 800º F for cleaning - because I have found that at that temperature everything 

comes out after a few hours completely clean. As for the Gasket - if people allow the flames to

come up over the sides I can see how that would damage the gasket. However - I have no dog

in this hunt - so  if cleaning works for people at 600º F or less then who I am to care?

Edit Here: I researched the Gasket Temperature rating and have found that the Gasket supplied with 

the Kamado Joe is rated to 750º F. So you are right 800º F is not recommended for this gasket. 

Interesting fact for me - as the CostCo roadshow Salesman (when I bought my grill)  told me that

Joe.

Cook on your kamado any way you wish. You obviously know better than I.

up at 750º F.

Joe.

Cook on your kamado any way you wish. You obviously know better than I.

I didn't say anything of the kind - if you read my post I agreed with you after researching - see my edit point at the bottom. 

Kamado Joes temperature chart shows the maximum temperature they consider safe - and then I researched the Gasket

material and found that it's rated at 750º F which is what you've said.  In short we are not in disagreement. 

I take two large size trash bags and put one inside the other. I put any grates I want to clean inside the bag along with 1 cup of ammonia. I seal the bag tight and let it sit overnight and let the ammonia clean the racks. The next day carefully open the bag and remove your grates. I recommend putting in something the grates can sit on above the ammonia. I simply bought 6 pvc 1" tees to sit the grills on.

I also recommend wearing some cleaning gloves when taking the grates out. Also be careful to not take a big breath when opening the bag, the fumes can really choke you up!

Simply remove the grills and wash them off, any stubborn residue can be removed with a stiff nylon brush. I also do a high temp burn after cooks, I do the ammonia cleaning twice a year.

I take two large size trash bags and put one inside the other. I put any grates I want to clean inside the bag along with 1 cup of ammonia. I seal the bag tight and let it sit overnight and let the ammonia clean the racks. The next day carefully open the bag and remove your grates. I recommend putting in something the grates can sit on above the ammonia. I simply bought 6 pvc 1" tees to sit the grills on.

I also recommend wearing some cleaning gloves when taking the grates out. Also be careful to not take a big breath when opening the bag, the fumes can really choke you up!

Simply remove the grills and wash them off, any stubborn residue can be removed with a stiff nylon brush. I also do a high temp burn after cooks, I do the ammonia cleaning twice a year.

That's a cool way. Does it have to be ammonia - or would Vinegar work?  The Ammonia seems like it would 'taint' the 

stainless steel. 

That's a cool way. Does it have to be ammonia - or would Vinegar work?  The Ammonia seems like it would 'taint' the 

stainless steel. 

I honestly don't know about the vinegar. I have a friend who told me about this and he says he uses a tablespoon of baking soda in his ammonia. I've used this process for over 5 years on 2 different grills with no problem.