How to clean grill grates

Maybe a little off-topic, but I believe I'm seeing an apparent aversion to wire brushes. Is this true? And if so, why?

Wire brushes, especially cheaper brands, can leave the wire bristles behind and can get lodged in the food you cook. Not worth a trip to the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a little off-topic, but I believe I'm seeing an apparent aversion to wire brushes. Is this true? And if so, why?

Wire brushes, especially cheaper brands, can leave the wire bristles behind and can get lodged in the food you cook. Not worth a trip to the hospital.

Dang. Good to know. Thanks.

I've found that anything over 550-600 is a bit much.  Most people can torch a gasket in a big hurry at those temps.  Further, it's unnecessary to get that high a temp to clean a grate.  That's just my experience and opinion.  

My Kitchen Convention Oven hits 600º F in the clean mode - maybe you are correct. 

If hitting 800º F could torch the gaskets - then Kamado Joe should compensate

all the buyers for defective units.  They brag about being able to hit Pizza Temperatures. 

How would hitting a recommended temperature damage the grill?

I can't tell you how many times I have buried the dome needle on my two Classics, JoeJR and BigJOE. I still have all the original gaskets on them with the exception of my original Classic which I changed after 950 cooks a couple years ago. 800*F will have no adverse effects on your gaskets, but I agree with CC you really don't need to go over 600*F to clean the grate.

I think it happens about once every two years spanning millions of cooks....then the media blows it up! :shock:  You probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightning that you do ingesting a bbq brush bristle.

Anybody ever tried them in a dishwasher? Also have a round tub from Home Depot garden center (looks like a small pond liner) that would hold them in soapy water and maybe some bleach. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anybody ever tried them in a dishwasher? Also have a round tub from Home Depot garden center (looks like a small pond liner) that would hold them in soapy water and maybe some bleach. Does that make me a bad person?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're not a bad person. I know folks who "condition" their grates all the time just as you describe. They climb in with a scrub brush and some Dawn detergent and start scrubbing after an overnight soak.

I'm in the 600 degree fan club. That temp for 15-30 minutes and everything is white ash that brushes right off. i use this for everything but my cast iron. You barely need to brush the grates after high heat cleaning. 

As for high heat I regularly cook steaks in the 700 to 800 degree range. My gaskets are fairly new but I've seen no noticeable deterioration. That said if I had to change them every year or 2 because of this I'd still do it.  I have done the same on my vision and while it destroyed visions original gasket the nomex from high que has held up very well. Infact I believe part of what destroyed my original gasket on the vision was I had a nasty air leak by the hinge and that's where it fried.

They will clean up when you do your next cook vinegar and bi carb is great for rusty grates but like others have said keep your grill going after the cook and clean them looks way much better when you open the lid the next time

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

I think it happens about once every two years spanning millions of cooks....then the media blows it up! :shock: You probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightning that you do ingesting a bbq brush bristle.

I wouldn't have mentioned it unless it happened to me. That was in my gasser days with one of those flat brushes. I actually still use a steel brush but it's the kind that wraps around the iron.

I clean it with weber brush every time I cook but it seems to accumulate at the bottom of the grates...cleaning with brush pushes some of it to the bottoms and it builds up pretty quick at the bottom