ckreef

Smoke Pot for 19" TT

When we were out and about Saturday morning we came across a really cute, little CI Dutch Oven. The original idea was to cook a small two person peach cobbler ......... But then I got thinking .........

So Sunday morning when I broke out the drill Mrs skreef said (with a pouty lip) "Bye Bye little cooker." Of course I replied with "But it's for the good of mankind!"

3b8bf7ae1456f6e6dfa2a50c2df98ff0.jpg

4e64651b35f843f4d1749d1f96fd6249.jpg

621d0e485a67860602587e3750df62a7.jpg

That's 5 decent sized chunks of smoke wood that I split (with a machete) so it would all fit. Get the kamado up to temp (250* in this case) then put the smoke pot right down on the coals. Install your diffuser, grate and food. Close the dome.

It took the smoke pot about 5 minutes to heat up. After that it was about 3 1/2 hours of the best smelling thin blue smoke I've ever had. Constant the whole time. So glad I listened to CC with this idea.

Reef's Bistro

Charles, the proof is in the pudding as they say. I'm glad this fit your KK and you're having the kind of success that I've always had with this smoke pot. Congrats!

I'll never do smoke wood any other way. You posted about using pellets. Have you tried that? I think I could get more time out of pellets although I'm not sure meat is going to absorb any more smoke after the first 3 or 4 hours.

Reef's Bistro

Charles, the proof is in the pudding as they say. I'm glad this fit your KK and you're having the kind of success that I've always had with this smoke pot. Congrats!

O... You are the culprit... Lol.. All good.. Still baking a cobbler tonight... Ck tell yall he wasn't letting me cook the cobbler. I don't know how.. He saids.. I ask him.. "Did you forget I'm Southern?" lol..

I am A Georgia Peach!

There will be a Cobbler pic after dinner

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

I purchased and drilled one last year after finding it on sale and reading about it on the KK forum. I have yet to use it but this is back at the forefront for my next smoke.

Did you seal the lid with the flour paste??

I did seal it with a flour paste but it's so small and the lid is so lite and isn't a perfect fit. With a bigger, heavier one I could easily see skipping that step.

Give it a go I believe you'll be happy with the results.

Reef's Bistro

I'll never do smoke wood any other way. You posted about using pellets. Have you tried that? I think I could get more time out of pellets although I'm not sure meat is going to absorb any more smoke after the first 3 or 4 hours.

Reef's Bistro

Charles - I'll often use pellets as an adjunct to the main wood.  For instance, I'll use apple chunks and oak pellets to round out the flavor.  And you're right, meat tends to absorb (condense) very little smoke after the surface temp of the cook hits about 140-150 or so.  Anything after that and you get diminishing returns in a hurry.  

I purchased and drilled one last year after finding it on sale and reading about it on the KK forum. I have yet to use it but this is back at the forefront for my next smoke.

bosco - My lid on the Lodge 2 qt is a pretty good fit, so I don't use the flour paste that Syzygies recommends.  Another Friend uses a couple of layers of aluminum foil laid across the top wood and then puts his lid on the pot.  That works for him instead of the flour paste.  I think I'll try that the next time I use the pot ... probably within the week.

O... You are the culprit... Lol.. All good.. Still baking a cobbler tonight... Ck tell yall he wasn't letting me cook the cobbler. I don't know how.. He saids.. I ask him.. "Did you forget I'm Southern?" lol..

I am A Georgia Peach!

There will be a Cobbler pic after dinner

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

Susan Rose -  you are a character!  Now I know everything I need to know about you!  And I saw how you put all the peaches in GA to shame when you went to the processing plant!  Hey, do you have a sister that's single?  :lol:  

You and Charles have a wonderful 4th Holiday.  All the best in the world to you!

So are there only holes in the bottom of the smoke pot and not the top? Is the idea because the wood is exposed to less air, it burns more slowly?

CC explained it once I can't remember I think it had something to do with air filling up the pot till the point it had nowhere to go except back out through the holes pushing the smoke with it

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

So are there only holes in the bottom of the smoke pot and not the top? Is the idea because the wood is exposed to less air, it burns more slowly?

Yes only 3 small holes in the bottom. Since inside the pot is an oxygen starved environment the wood won't actually burn. It smolders releasing it's smoke and nasty volatiles. The smoke is forced down through the holes straight into your fire where the fire burns off the volatiles leaving just thin, blue, sweet smelling smoke to fill the kamado and circulate around your meat. With this you don't have to wait for the nasty white smoke to dissipate because there is no nasty white smoke.

Here is what was left in the pot after yesterday's burn. This is the same principle behind making lump charcoal. I'll dump my now charcoal pieces in the kamado next time I fill it up.

c5669ba4394ca07e6fa493955a667ae8.jpg

Reef's Bistro

bosco - My lid on the Lodge 2 qt is a pretty good fit, so I don't use the flour paste that Syzygies recommends. Another Friend uses a couple of layers of aluminum foil laid across the top wood and then puts his lid on the pot. That works for him instead of the flour paste. I think I'll try that the next time I use the pot ... probably within the week.

I'm going to try the aluminum foil trick later today and see how that works.

Reef's Bistro