bel4_20

Cleaning the grill grates

Okay I have a question, I was trying to clean the grates yesterday and I find that every time I pushed the brush the grate would fall off the D&C system. Am I doing something wrong? Are the grill grates suppose to lock in some how?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not really that familiar with the set up of the D & C. However,  I rarely brush my grills in the kamado but take them out rest them on the ground and brush them there. I find I get a better job, that actually takes less effort and time, with out the risk of banging the grill grate into the ceramic wall of my Egg. Just a habit, I picked up. 

I discovered a unique technique for achieving great grate hygiene quite by accident today. I believe this may involve less effort than any traditional method. 

Just finished loading the fire box and turned to retrieve the top grate from its resting place in the grass. It was coated with melted rib fat and in bad need of a high temp burn. Our old used cat was enthusiastically removing the vile stuff. She would wander off (the way cats do) for a while but return frequently to take another whack at it. 

I cant yet say how long it will take to get down to pristine stainless steel as I needed the top grid for the peppers, onions and pineapple to drip/spritz juice onto the chicken smoking on the lower rack. After tomorrows brisket, I may let her have another go and report back. That chicken was delicious BTW. 

0703161635b_zpsmgnt9glt.jpg?t=1467507543

The 'bumps' on the top of the D&C rack fit between the two grate halves.

Try this. Take the grates off and turn the D&C rack until the bumps are at the front and rear of the grill 12:00 and 6:00 if you will. Now put in a grate half on the right with the rounded side facing the right side of the grill. The flat side of the grate should be flush against the two bumps. Note, don't put the grate so that the bumps go in between rails of a single grate.

Now the left side grate should fit in and press against the bumps on the other side.

Common issue. The manual doesn't explain how to set this up.

I have no idea how you set it up for this to occur but if you look at this pic you can see the tounge an groove at either endaed7f5f10e2561605dee73302d2e9ee7.jpg just slot your half moons on either side they will not fall off2bc5077a257854a022e1974e75999deb.jpgas for the main grate notice how the top lip goes over the bar 5977c7ce1e663e8992502a61f8db5e64.jpghappy grilling

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

I have no idea how you set it up for this to occur but if you look at this pic you can see the tounge an groove at either end just slot your half moons on either side they will not fall off as for the main grate notice how the top lip goes over the bar 5977c7ce1e663e8992502a61f8db5e64.jpghappy grilling

I am really, really loving that flip up grate. Paint me a little green with envy...

On 7/5/2016 at 5:41 AM, Aussie Joe said:

I have no idea how you set it up for this to occur but if you look at this pic you can see the tounge an groove at either endaed7f5f10e2561605dee73302d2e9ee7.jpg just slot your half moons on either side they will not fall off2bc5077a257854a022e1974e75999deb.jpgas for the main grate notice how the top lip goes over the bar 5977c7ce1e663e8992502a61f8db5e64.jpghappy grilling

This is how I set up my Big Joe III. 

But tue grates still fall down when I try clean them with steel brush. 

Any other tips or ideas on how to prevent the grates from falling down when cleaning them?

I suggest using your grill griper to hold the grate in place while cleaning. More than that though, toss the wire brush, those things are dangerous and nasty. Do a web search for "grill brushes and perforated bowel". Too many options that work as well or better than the old school wire brush.   

It seems to me the grate corners should have had steel pins welded pointing downwards to keep them from falling off the support struts during cleaning. (see pin location I mean in red in attached photo)

Otherwise, it seems that to correct this design flaw, I need to take the grates to a local welder to add the 4 pins on the corners of the grates, facing down, so as to prevent them from falling down.

IMG_5260.JPG

On 7/3/2016 at 4:00 PM, bel4_20 said:

Okay I have a question, I was trying to clean the grates yesterday and I find that every time I pushed the brush the grate would fall off the D&C system. Am I doing something wrong? Are the grill grates suppose to lock in some how?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The same happens to me when I try and brush my grates when they are on the top part of the D&C system.

If you move the grates to the lower position of the D&C system they will lock in better and won't fall off when you brush them.

Often, I can't lower the grate, like when using the new Slōroller Hyperbolic Smoke Chamber in the Big Joe III as I also place a drip pan under the grate to prevent the drippings going directly on the Slōroller Hyperbolic Smoke Chamber top cover.

I'm going to find a local welder to add these pins for the two grates, that will be a proper fix and not a workaround.