28 days later rib eye!

Well here you are, my first 28 day aging is done!

DAY 0

IMG_20160603_194140.jpg

MID WAY (my condenser fan also decided to go on me... fixed!)

IMG_20160610_165433.jpg

DAY 28 - Happy Day

IMG_20160702_093549.jpg

IMG_20160702_101014.jpg

IMG_20160703_164435.jpg

IMG_20160703_170421.jpg

OK my take on this.

I did find that there was more beef flavour but not really more tender than any other regular rib eye steak I have made.  Mine was medium rare and my wife's on the right was well done.  I let them both rest for 5 minutes and then started eating.

Maybe my expectations were too high?  I don't know.  They were awesome just not as tender as I was expecting them to be.  

They were cooked on my Grill Gates (obviously with those grill marks) sitting on my 7441 which I have done before with other steaks.

All in all, I'm happy with this and I have a NY that is on week #2 sitting comfortably in the fridge.  :)

Thanks to those great knives also for helping out.  

Hey Bigs, the last one I did I wasn't overly happy with. I took that one to 36 days. Previously I have only ever done 28. I will be interested to see what you think of the NY as that's a cut I don't usually eat.

For me though, I won't be eating a steak that isn't dry aged (if I can help it) I just love them. Even the one I wasn't overly happy with I still prefer to a normal steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Pesto.

I'll try a different approach on my cooking method next time and see. I still think they tasted better, more of that awesome beef taste!

Keep ya posted on the NY strip. :)

Keep at it. I usually do a reverse sear (or sous vide initially and then finish off). Some rib eye loins are just going to be a little tougher than others...flavor is where dry age excells. I usually remove the bark from the whole loin, cut, and vacuum pack. Don't really know why but I have settled on a 35 day aging process but 28 is more than adequate.

when your done after 28 days, is there any suggestions for taking the bark off? really just trying to get the hard pieces off of the meat correct?

Hey man, some people trim the bark off the loin and then proceed to cutting into steaks, I cut my steaks then removed the bark.  We end up with the same result in the end.  You do need good knives if not it will be tough to trim and cut.

So I had 2 knives.  One boning knife and a butcher/cimiter/scimitar knife and both sharp as heck!  

Oh man!!! That looks tasty!!!

Thanks man!  Yes indeed they were very tasty, that's what I'm having tonight.  :)

Keep at it. I usually do a reverse sear (or sous vide initially and then finish off). Some rib eye loins are just going to be a little tougher than others...flavor is where dry age excells. I usually remove the bark from the whole loin, cut, and vacuum pack. Don't really know why but I have settled on a 35 day aging process but 28 is more than adequate.

Yeah I kinda noticed it the other day, not every loin is the same.  My NY strip is ready next week, can't wait to cut that up and try it.