JoeTisserie bad smoke

SmokeOrFire

I got a JT a couple weeks ago, but finally got around to taking it for a spin (pardon the pun).  JT is on a lg bge which leaked smoke around the JT ring, but I was able to easily keep the temp on target (400 dome thermometer, which means 325-350 at meat level correlated using stoker probes on previous cooks).  Cooked one 7lb roaster chicken for about 85 minutes; pulled when thermopen said it was done, before the builtin pop thermometer popped.  Skin was great (crisp/easy to bite through/not slimy).  Meat was juicy.  But.. the aftertaste of bad smoke for hours later.  The smoke during cook was clearly from the copious drippings landing directly in the charcoal, not bad coal (it was wegmans/royal oak).  Smoke was thin and smelled good before putting on meat and was good for first half of cook.  Second half smelled like burnt grease (eg - gas grill flavor).  Didn't use any smoke wood as I like the flavor of royal oak on chicken.  Only caveat is that I really only noticed the aftertaste after eating one little piece of white meat that was sitting in the juices left on the serving platter.

All the web pictures of the JT seemed to show chickens and pork spinning over direct coals, no indirect setup or drip pan.  Has anyone else had issues with taste of grease smoke instead of wood smoke?  Chicken too big (roaster vs fryer)? Has anyone used indirect/drip pan (I doubt skin will be as good).  I'll update when I finish the other half of the chicken tomorrow (no parts left in the juices). 

John: did you cook any big roasters or just fryers?  Also, did you ever poke the chicken mid cook with thermopen or other probe (wondering it this is responsible for excessive drippings).

I have cooked chickens between 4 and 8 pounds. Poking the chicken for temp readings woukd nit have any significant impact.

If you want to cook the chicken at 425 F (375 at the Dome). Use a Ceramic grill store Woo2 or a spider and a small drip pan to catch the drippings. You don't need a large pan. A cheap square pan that. 7 by 9 will work. This will prevent the dripping from falling into the fire while still allowing direct heat to hit the yard bird.

Here's another technique: you'll need to make some change to adapt the recipie to a Kamado cook.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/grilling-rotisserie-chicken.html

Edited by Charcoal Addict

I already have a woo ring normally used to raise grid. I normally put small stone and foil drip pan at height of fire ring for indirect. Are you saying to use loaf pan that won't collapse but no stone?

Just a small pan cheap backing or aluminum drip pan and no stone. You want to catch grease without blocking the direct heat.

Might have been an extra fatty chicken I have come across this spun a chook and had no major drippings done another and all I could hear was sizzling I have found the weber half charcoal baskets great for my spins and a lows enough room in my classic for a aluminium drip pan this is my goto set up for all my spins works great on getting crackle on a pork belly and catching all the drippings would definetly not do one over coals that would smoke up big time fd2c8723ed1b448b1090bc4d5302c8f2.jpg

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

If the grease burning is what you hate.

Use split baskets like Aussie Joe above and Andy show and put an aluminum foil pan in the middle.

That will catch the drippings when you spin.

I do all my chicken on the grate direct at 350 and just let the drippings burn and do not get any bad taste.

i have to wonder if some people just have a more sensitive taste.

John: did you cook any big roasters or just fryers?  Also, did you ever poke the chicken mid cook with thermopen or other probe (wondering it this is responsible for excessive drippings).

I've cooked a few 12-14# turkeys on the joetisserie while using Thermapen to check and haven't had any issues.

Perhaps there is a different culprit, are you using smoke wood? I find Using smoke wood to made poultry to taste putrid.

Only used wegmans lump which is royal oak.  No smoke wood.  RO is smokey enough for chicken.  To understand the problem I put a pic on https://goo.gl/photos/cPA1sZw11cxkP6xz9 .  I am confident its grease because this is end of cook - when white meat was 160F and dark meat was 175F but popup thingie didn't pop yet (I know they are set too high).  Flavor is same as gas grill smoke which is just burnt grease.  And soon after I took that pic, the grease on the charcoal ignited in a 18" flame (while/after pulling the bird) due to oxygen from open lid.

My plan: try it again same way since others have liked the direct outcome.  If I still don't like it either use a drip pan, or bank the coals on one side, and put the chicken off center so it drips onto bottom of grill.  

@CA: Are you implying that aiming for 325-350 at the meat will increase risk of grease smoke?  The point of the higher temp is to render out the fat in the skin and make it crisp.  What temp do you use?  I'm confident in grate temp 325-350 matches dome temp *reading* of 400F (which might not be calibrated) b/c I recently used my well-calibrated stoker probes to confirm the temp diff in previous cooks.

325 will work, the trade off is a less moist product. I used to lower the temp on my Kettle because of occasional temp swings.

Rather than lowering the temp, try the dip pan in the middle. You still have plenty of direct heat reaching the chicken while preventing the grease from hitting the fire.

i have run into the same issue when I was in a hurry and I didn't do my drip pan set up like what Aussie showed above.   The chicken fat dripping onto the hot coals definitely gave it a nasty smoke taste.   Won't go direct with chicken again...

My plan: try it again same way since others have liked the direct outcome.  If I still don't like it either use a drip pan, or bank the coals on one side, and put the chicken off center so it drips onto bottom of grill.  

I saw that pic you posted and the smoke looked pretty knarley.  i have had my the coals banked on one side for all of my poultry cooks so perhaps you are on to something here....