Barbecue Beans from Scratch

My go to bean recipe when doing barbecue meats.  Delicious slow smoked baked beans made from scratch using dry beans and homemade sauce. You'll never use canned beans again!

Ingredients:
1 lb dry white beans (Navy or Great Northern)
1 Onion, Sweet, chopped
1/2 cup cider vinegar
6-12 oz hard cider, pale ale, or other beer
1/2 cup turbinado sugar (or brown if none)
12 oz tomato paste (or 1 qt roasted canned tomato sauce)
12+ oz water (if using tomato paste or as necessary)
3/4 cup molasses
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dijon mustard
pepper sauce (Tabasco)
pieces of pulled pork or cooked brisket (with bark)
4 anaheim peppers, minced (or 1 poblanos or 1 jalapenos)
~1 cup fat separated pork shoulder or brisket drippings.
1/4-1/2 cup bourbon (optional)

Instructions:
1) Soak beans under a few inches of salted water (3 Tbsp/gallon ratio) for several hours until double/triple in size. Drain.
2) Simmer 1.5 hours in salted (.5-1 tsp) water or until soft. Drain.

Use Below Meat Method:
3) Add & mix beans with all other ingredients (less the meat & drippings) to an aluminum half tray pan or dutch oven. Use the aluminum pan if possible. The acidity of the tomatoes can damage the seasoning on a dutch oven.
4) Add enough water to cover beans by a half inch.
5) Place directly under whatever meat you are smoking to begin collecting drippings from the meat.
6) Cook low and slow for several hours until beans are soft, smokey, and delicious. You may have to add more water during this time.

Or Use After Meat Method:
3) Add & mix beans with all other ingredients (including the meat & drippings) to an aluminum half tray pan or dutch oven.
Use the aluminum pan if possible. The acidity of the tomatoes can damage the seasoning on a dutch oven.
4) Cook low and slow for several hours until beans are soft, smokey, and delicious. You may have to add more water during this time.

Thanks for posting this.

Cooking beans from scratch is simple really.

I did not watch the video, as on a limited satellite internet service, but think it good you gave us it.

(It would be much too sweet for my palate, but most folks would probably not think so)

I cook a lot of beans in the winter when the wood stove is going -- freeze them for meals & lunches later on.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure of the context of the question.  I always cook my meats overnight around 225-250 (235 average) deg F and into the morning of next day where the  drippings are collected and then added to the cooked beans which are then cooked/smoked for several hours more (~3-4 hours) to fully absorb the liquid and flavors.

If I get up early and do the meat and the beans together, I'll wait a couple hours to put the beans under the meat and then both are done by evening.

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 11:19 AM, BEER-N-BBQ by Larry said:

I'm not sure of the context of the question.  I always cook my meats overnight around 225-250 (235 average) deg F and into the morning of next day where the  drippings are collected and then added to the cooked beans which are then cooked/smoked for several hours more (~3-4 hours) to fully absorb the liquid and flavors.

If I get up early and do the meat and the beans together, I'll wait a couple hours to put the beans under the meat and then both are done by evening.

After seeing your beautiful baked beans vid... I want to do this, but I was struggling with how to do both a brisket and beans at the same time in the same day. We’re throwing a get together mid May and I’m really trying to outdo any bbqs that I’ve been to. (Including home brew on tap too) I’m going to try it this way sans added brisket and just throw some pieces in at the end. Thanks for sharing! 

On 4/24/2018 at 10:11 PM, BeerdedRooster said:

I was struggling with how to do both a brisket and beans at the same time in the same day.

Easy. Like I had shown in the video, an option is to cook the beans under the brisket while both cook together to save time.