Granddad kamado rebuild

In2Fish

wow. Your patch hardly even shows in the cap after painting. Great progress.

Really interested to see how the furnace cement patches hold up in fire.

^^^^^ ditto, looks great. I'll have fun following this thread!

wow.  Your patch hardly even shows in the cap after painting. Great progress.

Thanks ero4444, I think it's the angle of the photo. I will see about posting another picture for a closer view of the repair. I'm on the road today should be able to post a pic in a day or two.

as for the textured finish .. a sample try of exterior stucco with a textured  roller  and slightly knocked down .. would be worth trying on another surface.

Thx for the stucco recommendation, I didn't think about that, I will research it a little and see if I can perhaps do a text this weekend.

wow.  Your patch hardly even shows in the cap after painting. Great progress.

The blue hides the lack of texture a little bit, here's the view showing the patch work a little better.

post-10960-0-89546800-1468722005_thumb.j

I did a little more work on the kamado today.  I smoothed out the rough section of the interior furnace cement a little bit, in hind sight it likely would have been easier to just leave it as it was, since no one is really going to see the interior once its done.

I'm a bit disappointed in the furnace cement.  Not sure if it was my technique, the cement, or what.  The cement has a bunch cracks that I believe developed while the cement hardened.  Not sure what I can or will do about it at this point. I used it mostly as extra insurance to help the JB weld used on the cracks.

post-10960-0-86846900-1468722494_thumb.j

post-10960-0-38991400-1468722501_thumb.j

Also, It's a little hard to find a 'small' bag of mortar/stucco at the home improvement store.  I have an 80 pound bag that i'm starting to play with, so I can figure out how to use and texture the mortar/stucco for the surface repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Between work and a little vacation I’ve not had a ton of time to work on Grampa-Joe as the kids have renamed my old kamado.  I had some time this past week or so to make a little progress.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to re-texture the surface, and it’s been challenging.  I’ve not been able to figure out to work with and properly texture using Mortar/Stucco.  I tried Cement-all (picture below), which is quick setting (very quick ~10 minutes) and had trouble getting a texture set. 

post-10960-0-10060100-1469900450_thumb.j

I went back to the furnace cement, which is more workable.   I was able to “lift” some of the furnace cement to create some peaks,  I let it dry overnight, then knocked down the peaks in the AM, followed by a light sanding after work.   I think this is going to be as close as I will get, so I’m using this method now.  

post-10960-0-14381600-1469900451_thumb.j

post-10960-0-10203000-1469900452_thumb.j

post-10960-0-15780800-1469900453_thumb.j

post-10960-0-77398300-1469900453_thumb.j

This one is not yet sanded

post-10960-0-77753600-1469900454_thumb.j

I’ve also started to fill-in some of the holes around the top where the bands reside.

post-10960-0-62077600-1469900455_thumb.j

So I’m making some progress.

Edited by In2Fish

• 1 month later...

I'm using a different high heat cement,  it's a challenge to work with particularly if i'm trying to add a thin layer of cement., and I've decided to just push forward,  i'm able to get some texture added to the cement. so it's better than a plain finish.   I primed a section yesterday as a small test and forgot to take a picture,  once primed and painted it will still look much better than it did, so i'm not complaining too much.  I will see how the cement looks in a day or so before further priming or painting.  I do need to spend a little time building up the bottom of the kamado, that had a fair amount of clay worn away on the outside. Hopefully by this weekend.  

with some texture:

DSCN7428.JPG

before some texture:

DSCN7434.JPG

11 hours ago, bosco said:

fantastic rebuild.  As long as it cooks at the end of it who cares about the minor flaws.  I think you have an excellent project here and involving the kids is just awesome 

Thx Bosco, I sometimes get too spun up about the details w/ various projects.  This past weekend I hit that point of just-move-on-and-get-it-done.   You said it right - as long as it cooks, after that does it really matter?   If the final food product tastes good, the vessel in which to cook is really secondary (if that...)

More work this weekend. Hopefully Saturday AM, or Sunday I will do some more work and post a few more pics.

Some good progress today.  I finishing repairing the base of the kamado this morning, and primed the lid w/ the help of my youngest daughter last this afternoon, she wanted to do all the 3 coats of primer.

Here's the test prime painting I did earlier in the week.  The texture is as close as it's going to be at this point.

DSCN7454.jpg

DSCN7456.jpg

DSCN7457.jpg

DSCN7460.jpg

DSCN7517.jpg

DSCN7520.jpg