Sign in to follow this  
later4ya

Cleaning After Brisket Cook

After finishing a brisket on the 4th, my Big joe is pretty grimey (grates and deflector plates). Just wondering, do you guys normally do a cleaning after a brisket cook?

Lol. I normally shut it down and the grime builds. However, what I should do is jack up the temp for a while and let the grime burn off. Any grime that won't burn off can be scraped off. Some folks don't like the wire brushes, as they can lave behind sharp pieces of steel that will end up in your jaw next cook. I have no common sense or fear and sometimes use these. I also use rich like thing made out of some kind of soft rock or something can't remember the name. Will find it out if you wish. Let me know. But the 500 to 600 burn off at the end is the easiest way to help clear gunk.

I don't clean after any cook except maybe change the foil from the inside of my drip pan so it doesn't flare up or smoke on my next cook. If I do anything, when I get everything all ready to use on the next cook, meaning I light the grill and put the deflector and grate in place, once it hits my target temp, I *might* hit the grate with some stainless steel wool to knock the big chunks from the previous cook off.

After any cook that renders a lot of fat, I always do a high temp burn, about 500°-550°F burn for 30 minutes or so immediately after the cook. That turns to ash anything on the grates and burns any fat that drip pans didn't catch. Then I just brush the grates before the next cook. Easy peasy cleanup.

I also always use a drip pan under all those types of cooks for a variety of reasons.

First, fat left unattended becomes rancid very quickly and will ruin your lump. It won't be fit for any further cooks.

Second, a clean kamado is a safe kamado. Aerosoled fat can cause a flashover in a kamado that is opened without being burped. Fat that drips on hot deflector plates can become an aerosol. When a load of fresh oxygen comes in contact with an aerosol, BOOM! Serious burns can ensue. Nobody want that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By social assassin
      Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for any tips on how to cook a full packer brisket on my KJ Classic 2.  To date I have only smoked brisket twice; one time each of the Point & the Flat.  After seeing them in person at Costco it doesn’t look like it will fit on my KJ.  How do you make it work?

I am not sure if I posted this question in the correct thread.

Take Care,
      Pablo 
    • By MurphyBBQ
      Cooking my first brisket on the KJ Classic 2 and had a lot of trouble with thick white smoke. My process below, if anybody can help me find the mistake it would be much appreciated!

- Loaded KJ with Jealous Devil lump charcoal and mix ~5-7 oak log chunks of medium (?) size. Logs were highly likely kiln dried but I did get them in firewood-like logs from a meat market vs the mass distro grocery store/home improvement bags
      - Used Royal Oak starters and got the lump lit for about 15 minutes, then a couple of the oak chunks caught and I got a decent fire.
      - Closed the top but opened the vent fully to try to let it smoke out and carbonize. Temp jumped pretty quickly to about 350 so I choked it back and got it stable around 260 but the thick white smoke continued for a solid 45+ minutes at which point I had no choice but to start the meat
      - White smoke continued for another hour+ after this, albeit it didnt billow out quite as aggressively. This went on for a couple of hours at least which seemed like an excessively long time.

Thoughts? Advice?
      Thanks!
    • By Redbeard23
      So I am smoking my first brisket on my Kamado Joe Classic II and pretty well following Johns Brisket 101 video from the Kamado Joe YouTube channel. It has been on about 4 hours at 225 degrees and my dome temp was steady until it started to rise about 30 min ago. It stopped about 250 degrees and seems to be holding steady there now. Any advice on why this happened and if it’s okay? Should I try to lower it? If so, what is the best method. Getting good blueish smoke and have been for most of the cook. Any help would be appreciated.
    • By HokieOC
      This weekend I'm attempting my first dual-cook, a pork shoulder/butt and a brisket flat.  I have a KJ Classic and an Akorn Jr, so I could do the pork on the Junior and brisket on the classic and not worry about it.  But for the sake of only using one grill for two things that cook generally the same in terms of temp (also admittedly, I just kinda want to try it), I'm planning to use the extender rack on the KJ, put the butt on that then add the flat under it a few hours later as I'm anticipating less time for the flat than the butt (Never done just a flat, only packers, but I think the flats take less time?).  

Has anyone ever done this?  My only concern is the butt dripping fat all over the brisket, not sure if that will change the flavor or get it all greasy and it's a big no-no?  Or will it not mess with the flat at all and if anything make it better from dripping fat all over it and keeping it from drying out?

Thanks!
    • By wallawu
      As we all know, there's a big game next weekend, which means a big-time cook to match.  I have a vacuum sealed frozen brisket that's around 15 pounds that I'll need to thaw out.  I've not done this with such a large piece of meat, and some folks have me worried that if the outside ends up being too warm too long people will die.  I don't have room to let it slowly thaw in the fridge, and it is hurt-your-hands frozen.  Is there a certain method I should use?  Surely a cooler full of water would be fine, right?  Just don't know how long it'll take.  Thanks for the help, folks!

Edit: two weekends away