Mewantkj

Pizza-porta

16 posts in this topic

Hmmm...interesting, but it seems the whole point is to avoid the temperature drops associated with opening the dome?

A simpler option is to use the Breadhead Pie Hole Technique: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/29754-pizza-a-la-breadhead/

That is, remove the vent cap and control temp with the bottom vent only. Per Breadhead, this improves airflow and gives you a view in that prevents opening the lid prematurely -- The Pie Hole!

Definitely an interesting product. Would love to see it in action.

Reef's Bistro

Just stumbled onto this on another site... Totally missed this thread back in July, shame on me!

dont know if these were available to purchase back then, but they've got a 'Classic' sized one available for $300.  Curious if anyone on here has any experience with these, or any ATL based people have seen/heard much about it.  Looks cool.  

They talk about turning the pizza after 2 minutes. How would that work with that very limited opening? Pull it out, turn it on the peel and put it back in??

I usually turn my pizza two or three times. I just pop the Primo open, slide the peel under coming from the far right, slide in back down from the far left, and close the lid. Takes maybe 10 seconds. Seems like better ways to spend $300 to me.

And the "Shop now" pop-ups every time you change pages is really annoying! :roll:

32 minutes ago, shuley said:

I'm confused. It just doesn't seem like there would be that much less heat loss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you close the top vents of the Kamado completely, I think the principle of opening the front mail-slot, out away from the edge of the grill, should limit the heat escaping up.  Seems like it would be similar to all the Weber kettle-pizza type of gizmos, but the round-dome ceiling of the Kamado is reflecting the heat back down to the toppings, instead of a flat ceiling closer to the surface.  I've got a project going on now for a WFO, but if that fails, I  might try one of these out.  This looks like a lot better $300 investment than the $300 Uuni units.  Curious to see what Uuni comes out with tomorrow, but I kinda like the idea of this Porta-Pizza.  I probably would've chosen a name that distances itself from Porta-Potty, but that's just me.

BURGER MEISTER likes this

2 hours ago, MosesM said:

They talk about turning the pizza after 2 minutes. How would that work with that very limited opening? Pull it out, turn it on the peel and put it back in??

I usually turn my pizza two or three times. I just pop the Primo open, slide the peel under coming from the far right, slide in back down from the far left, and close the lid. Takes maybe 10 seconds. Seems like better ways to spend $300 to me.

And the "Shop now" pop-ups every time you change pages is really annoying! :roll:

I would use a pair of pizza spinners to turn it in relatively closed quarters.  You can essentially leave a pizza in the same spot and spin it round and round with a pair of these.

Yeah, 'shop now' pop-up is annoying, but it's one X-click to make it go away each time.  Think I cruised through each page and had to click a few extra times.  I don't put a ton f stock in the quality of their web-design.  A lot of fantastic products had crummy websites until they were highly successful.  

image.jpeg

29 minutes ago, JayhawkPharmer said:

Since you close the top vents of the Kamado completely, I think the principle of opening the front mail-slot, out away from the edge of the grill, should limit the heat escaping up.  Seems like it would be similar to all the Weber kettle-pizza type of gizmos, but the round-dome ceiling of the Kamado is reflecting the heat back down to the toppings, instead of a flat ceiling closer to the surface.  I've got a project going on now for a WFO, but if that fails, I  might try one of these out.  This looks like a lot better $300 investment than the $300 Uuni units.  Curious to see what Uuni comes out with tomorrow, but I kinda like the idea of this Porta-Pizza.  I probably would've chosen a name that distances itself from Porta-Potty, but that's just me.

If you look at the second video he has an second stone in the upper dome so that when the bottom is done he can set on upper stone to finish off!

It does look interesting.  So far w/ my Big Joe, i've produced great pizza, not sure I really see the need to buy one.  Even w/ opening in the kamado lid to peek if needed, the heat recover is fast, and the pizza is still great.  

while not pizza related, for $300, or what ever it happens to run,  I will hold my cash for now for the Big Joetisserie

ckreef likes this

The BlackStone is ready to cook in 10 minutes.

The three stone setup that Keeper uses looks like it will do the same thing for much much less money and take up almost no space.

Given the awesome pies that people have posted--it looks like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Time to start cooking  will most like be 45 minutes just like the Kamado alone so no solution to lead time.

At some point we will have to build a cooking pavilion or a three car pizza garage or sell things on.

All of that said I will come, hang out , and watch you make pizza on it. What kind of beverage should I bring?