First time ribs on the Akorn

Sundays cook produced a couple of firsts for me. I've had my akorn for almost a year. My cooks to date have been mostly simple cooks. Lots of burgers, pork chops, chicken, and a few turkeys, whole chickens and roasts. Along with lots of veggies, potatoes, etc. As a newbie to kamado cooking, I've only had two not so good results. One of them was still edible and the other a complete failure lol... the first being my first pork roast. It got overwhelmingly smoky but it was still good and edible and was a good lesson learned. The second was turkey gravy from the drip pan. That was my failure and unedible in my opinion. Haven't tried figuring that one out yet and not sure that I will. Some people I know just make two. One on the grill and one in the oven for gravy. This was my first attempt doing ribs and first time trying to hold low temps and doing a low and slow cook. Both were a success in my opinion. I rarely use a meat thermometer and have no idea how accurate my grill thermometer is. My only gauge is the fact that neither myself ar anyone that has eaten my food has ever gotten food poisoning thank God lolol.... I almost think that when i do get to the point where I want to be more accurate with my temps, I might find my gauge reads lower than the actual temp. This cook started off lighting the lump in one spot, adding a few chunks of cherry for smoke and shutting the vent and damper down right away, letting the temp come up slow. I had a pretty good idea where settings would need to be and was almost spot on. These were just some cheap pork ribs I had purchased awhile back but after this, won't be afraid to do any cut of meat no matter how spendy it might be. Made a simple dry rub of brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and red pepper for a little heat. Used a drip pan with water and put the ribs on when the temp was a little over 200. Temp settled at about 225 so i tweaked a little and was able to control it between 225 and 250 for most of the cook with very little adjusting or babysitting the grill. After 2 hrs I took my first peek and things lioked good so I let it go peeking maybe every 1/2 hr... now I'm close to 3 1/2 hrs in and I get a call to go show A house. I closed the top vent just a hair as i didn't want the temp creeping up. 2 hrs and 4 houses later, I get back to find the temp down to just under 200. Opened the vent to heat things up, basted with bbq sauce and half hour later was eating. These ribs, turned out fantastic. Shared them with a cple friends who couldn't stop saying how good they were. They weren't fall off the bone, but as John Setzler explains how competition ribs should be, I would say they were perfect. My one friend says I need to enter a local contest. I say it was beginners luck [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] . Thanks for reading. Oops, forgot to take a money shot.54b0ef8c480c1ca99686c422d0632432.jpg8d2332d67863cabe08197aa84668bcbd.jpg93e1db9934806847cfa48c2c8fcd638f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think those look great!  Well done.

A tip for the overly smoky flavour.  Wait for the smoke to be blu-ish and not white and that should fix that acrid over smoke taste.  My error on the first few cooks.  :)

I think those look great! Well done.

A tip for the overly smoky flavour. Wait for the smoke to be blu-ish and not white and that should fix that acrid over smoke taste. My error on the first few cooks. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk