Sign in to follow this  
Nuprin

New Home for an Older 23"KK

As some of you may know, I recently purchased a green 23" KK that was posted here not too long ago. Since it was 375 miles a way, it took some effort to figure out shipping but thanks to the suggestion of someone here to use USHIP (sorry I forgot who but thank you), I got a reasonable price with insurance added just in case something went wrong.

It was a bit of a rough start, as they delivery guys arrived late and wasn't quite prepared to what they were dealing with. They had a box truck but the ramp was too narrow for the wider feet of the KK to be pushed up there. I was hoping the lid didn't have to be take off, but it was the only way to get it on the truck at that point. Luckily, it was easy to do and not that hard to put back on once I got it.

Everything got to me in one piece today minus a tile that fell off during the pick-up but the drivers did a good job of setting it back up on my back patio. It still took me and a friend to help the two drivers to get it over the grass effectively.

I have to say, it's quite stunning in person and while showing some wear and tear for a 10 year old grill on the spring, gasket, knobs and metal latch, the tile itself looks brand new. It's truly a work of art and I feel great pride of having something that was crafted so well. It's like a Ferrari standing next to my other grills. I loaded it with about 4 pounds of smallish pieces of RO charcoal to give it a burn through overnight and will report back once I start doing some cooks!

ee2b0228e4e21f25ca08712bac57dd25.jpg860d7952335aa135a0397f1a202959c5.jpgb04dab7684be28e10323c420aef8ec4d.jpge32f02b9098fbb36721ec4642cb93a37.jpg2801cedc717e35754ef3e02b6902089e.jpg7a61cf861312e08c00b3cb1ff2304789.jpg7b9bd361912805d1683f3f5d97a18ad6.jpg192574343f3f36e9a00123645ceae7bb.jpg96828f914612373c955f2f959386f909.jpga31f00218238fa06a8e6d60ed81790a3.jpg9103c29effe34ed5cbcdf1c410d5cf88.jpg2da1dbd8eec4efce766f3053ffa6ac03.jpg7243888a3c11e5798419c1a26ce72ce8.jpge141e3727b0262b2376be1bfe75c3c06.jpg

One of the legs on the inner firebox was broken when it was sold, which I knew of but I just stuck it back under and everything is fine.  In one of the pictures, I was able to fit my KJ extender rack from my Big Joe right on top of the main grate and it fit perfectly!  In fact, it sorta gives me more room to put food on the main rack due to the design - nothing against Dennis of course :)  Sorry about the dirty grate from my last cook that I haven't cleaned yet.

The spring, gasket, and knobs can be replaced fairly reasonably. Newer kk's actually have a cover for the spring, is there accommodation for one? If so, I bet a cover would be less than a spring, if desired. Some latches can be replaced too, ya might wanna call Dennis. Even with a previously owned grill, he'll still give great customer service.

Congrats on the grill, the green is a really nice color!!

Rob

The spring, gasket, and knobs can be replaced fairly reasonably. Newer kk's actually have a cover for the spring, is there accommodation for one? If so, I bet a cover would be less than a spring, if desired. Some latches can be replaced too, ya might wanna call Dennis. Even with a previously owned grill, he'll still give great customer service.

Congrats on the grill, the green is a really nice color!!

Rob

It actually has a cover with it, I forgot to put that back on as I was still working on getting the spring in the right tension.  The gasket looks fine to me, maybe I'll replace the spring if I order some other stuff with Dennis but it doesn't seem to effect the performance any.  I did notice the fire tended to burn on the right side of the basket.  Is that normal or do I need to adjust something in the fire box?  It might be out of alignment. 

Do you feel like kid on xmas morning?

Nah, more like Christmas eve because you can't wait until morning to play with your toys  :-D

Now a name. Green dragon...one that matches is the Indonesian(how fitting) Dragon "Naga" or I could go with the all-the-rage-right-now Pokemon game and go with Zygarde.  Help me pick one!

ALL of the air that comes in through the bottom vent moves over the coals by design. Every time you build a fire, the coals will form a different path of least resistance for the air, and fire chases the air. In other words, it's a non issue.

Adjust the spring such that it won't go down on its own, but not much more. I wouldn't worry about replacing it as long as you have the cover, unless you think there may be an integrity issue.

Rob

Did you get the tile that fell off? You can put it back on with permatex no problem.

Looks great for a 10 year old grill. I would order the new gasket, latch, knobs, and anything else that Dennis would recommend you get to update it.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you cook on it

Did you get the tile that fell off? You can put it back on with permatex no problem.

Looks great for a 10 year old grill. I would order the new gasket, latch, knobs, and anything else that Dennis would recommend you get to update it.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you cook on it

Bosco you were right, that 23" is curvy in all the right ways  :-P

I feel like it belongs in a Muesum on permanent display!  

The gentleman that sold it to me included the extra tiles and grout that came with the KK but he's still mailing me the one tile that fell off.  Really nice guy.  The only other thing actually missing is the plug for the probe port(?) but Ckreef said he would send me one of his extras. <--- Really nice guy too!  Well, that goes for just about everyone here. 

I'm gonna run it for a while the way it is and then worry about it later. 

Check the grout, I bet it's dried up if it came with the grill originally, but you can get more, along with the plugs. Nice thing, these grills haven't really changed much over the years.

Rob

Congrats with a bit of a scrub and love those stainless bits will live again as others have said reach out to Dennis about a new spring and cover and good on ckreef for giving you a plug I noticed that it was missing

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

Really great looking KK. Other than a little wear and tear looks brand new.

As for the spring - KK Springs are not SS because SS is not a good material to make a large springs out of. Dennis is currently trying to come up with an appropriate coating to help the rust issue. With that said the surface rust on the spring shouldn't really effect anything other than its looks. Once you install the spring plate you'll hardly notice.

As for any other surface rust on the SS - something I just recently learned is that SS can and at times rusts. Here is a really good article that explains why with paragraph #3 and #4 really relating to a grill environment. Check it out it's a good read.

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-does-stainless-steel-rust/

Can wait to see some pictures of you cooking on your new KK.

Reef's Bistro