rwalters

Anyone use a pressure cooker?

Yes! I use my mine fairly regularly. I really like the Instant Pot. I make chicken stock/broth and save some in the freezer. Also my quick go to is a very nice beef burgundy that's very quick. You can check out hippressurecooking.com for reviews and recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two: one a modern, electric digital version, and one of those old burner-top versions with the pressure gauge on top from about 40 years ago that I inherited from my Mother and which still scares the hell out of me.

I rarely use the new one and never use the old one. 

Jack, my Mom used a pressure cooker just as you describe to cook some wonderful meals. But I never liked/trusted that pot and just the thought of putting a pressure cooker on my stove gives me the heebee geebees! I'm never in so big a hurry that I need a pressure cooker.

A buddy of mine has a new digital one and love it, not sure of the brand though. I'd like one for canning and preserving but don't really see myself using it for everyday meals. I would however love to get into sous vide very soon, that seems like something worth spending some money on.

I also have the instapot and really like it. I use it for soups, stews, chili and more. The nice thing about the instapot is its also a slow cooker and rice cooker. There are a ton of youtube videos on it. It's on sale on amazon for another hour as part of prime day. 

We have the old traditional and newer instant pot.  We use it to cook soup.  One of my fav is ox tail + vegetables (celeries, carrots, onions, cabbage, tomato paste).  It's also good to make chinese braised pork.  Basically, instead slow cook for hours, you can do it in 1 or less.

There are lots of instant pot recipes on youtube, one that we tried and liked was mashed potatoes.  Almost forgot, the Brazillian black beans feijoada in my cook here: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/22885-brazilian-bbq-for-tonight-first-cook-on-the-classic-joe/?hl=brazillian#entry301921

I have a stovetop pressure cooker by Fagor I got at Macy's. It came with two sizes. Which is super handy. I usually use them on my induction countertop unit.

I've used it for stock, chili, roasts you name it. Once every two weeks I make organic dog food in it to save on dog food and get more nutritious food into my pups.

There's nothing to fear from stovetop units with a good lock and safety valves. Also there is less to break than a electronic type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one we use for canning but I can't see to remember the make. We are on vacation so I can't check. I do know All American is pretty much the best though. Sadly we don't have an All American. I don't eat store bought canned soup. ..when we make soup we make a double batch and can half.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I really need to use mine more often. Oddly enough --I often find the book that came with the KR to be more helpful that the book  I bought on using a PC when I need just a time to cook.

i have the 6 quart Kuhn Rikon and and an even bigger model that I got new in a thrift store for about $15.

If I had it to do again i would not spend that kind of money. ATK has a far less expensive model that they recommend.

There is nothing to worry about with a stove top model. They now have a dual safety. The KR does not even make that much noise.

I make a double batch of beans in about 26 minutes

I have made beef stew with chuck in some where around 30 minutes.

The draw backs are that they tend to cook the flavor out of things like spices and you do not want to over cook things or they loose even more flavor or with veggies they can go to mush.

If used right--they save massive amounts of time and things taste great.

Guy Fieri has a recipe for beef short ribs that looks really good but I have never tried it. They are done in  1 HR 30 Min.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/grilled-bbq-short-ribs.html

My lovely bride uses her Breville digital pressure cooker alot!!! Brisket and gravy... Pork roast and gravy... Chilli... Some throw together noodle casserole thing, dump in dry noodles and sauce and veg and cheese, pressure up...10mins...boom!! Side dish!!!

When I was a kid, my dad mistakenly opened a hot pressure cooker and got serious steam burns from the waist up. I've been afraid of those things ever since - even though they have come a long way in safety. I'll never forget us rushing him to the shower to try to cool it off.

When I met my wife, she had an old pressure cooker. I figured, if she was going to use one, I'd buy her a new one so that it was a lot safer. I got the Fagor one in the still image for that video above.

The only things we've used it for is some quick vegetable cooks - mostly fresh green beans or cabbage. 

Maybe it's time we expand our use of it - or should I say 'her use of it'. I'm still not getting near that thing. ;)

When I was a kid, my dad mistakenly opened a hot pressure cooker and got serious steam burns from the waist up. I've been afraid of those things ever since - even though they have come a long way in safety. I'll never forget us rushing him to the shower to try to cool it off.

When I met my wife, she had an old pressure cooker. I figured, if she was going to use one, I'd buy her a new one so that it was a lot safer. I got the Fagor one in the still image for that video above.

The only things we've used it for is some quick vegetable cooks - mostly fresh green beans or cabbage. 

Maybe it's time we expand our use of it - or should I say 'her use of it'. I'm still not getting near that thing. ;)

When under pressure the new ones lock and can not be opened.