John Setzler

Big Steel Keg / Bubba Keg Satisfaction Survey

Big Steel Keg / Bubba Keg Satisfaction Survey  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you are the owner of a Big Steel Keg or Bubba Keg Kamado grill, please take a moment to complete this satisfaction survey for the benefit of other users of this site. Please select one option in each of the four areas of the survey. If you have additional comments about your satisfaction with this product, please post them as a response to this survey.

Thanks!

I picked up The Big Steel Keg last November after weeks and weeks of research and watching videos/reading reviews. I knew I wanted a Kamado style cooker but couldn't decide on which one. The BGE is an obvious choice but I wasn't thrilled about the cost and that it's ceramic. Truth be told, I went to a BBQ Competition cooking class and wanted a good portable kamado. The Big Steel Keg was the answer for me. It has the trailer hitch adapter (haven't got yet, but will) so I can take it tailgating or anywhere else I need to. I have dialed in on my smoker and can get 225-250 for 18+ hours without adding any fuel or adjusting the vents. I usually take notes on every cook to learn the settings of the vents, grill temp, food temp, etc. That has helped a lot. The food is coming out amazing. I do have so much more to learn about grilling/smoking. Can't wait until the next 'lesson'.

Greetings and welcome :)

I looked at all the cookers in the Kamado lineup too as I was shopping for one and there is no doubt in my mind that the BSK is a formidable challenger in any BBQ role...

Hello Broil King Keggers, or BSK, Bubba Keggers, whichever version you have... I gotta tell ya. I've been looking at these things for a couple of years, and have seen the price at the local ACE at 599 a couple years back, with a free diffuser if I remember correctly. Anyway, I picked up a MAK 2 Star General pellet grill, and that thing is the sch-ahhh-nizzle for "set it and forget it" slow smokes, but lacks the ability to sear a good steak. It can also handle 40 lbs. of pork butt, no probbie. However, I've always like the seared steaks the best, and a buddy of mine is running a BGE. I gotta admit, the flavor of his steaks is outstanding. Hence, my recent purchase of the BKK. I haven't lit it off yet, but I'm gonna end this with a big brag. I bought this at my local ACE -- couldn't pass it up -- 299 BRAND NEW and assembled. It was the floor model. They had another one there for the same price that was a BSK vs. BKK, but they used it for demo smokes. I snapped this bad boy up and can't wait to light it off. The old lady forgave me... but pointed out that we now have a MAK grill, a gasser, a small (travel) weber, and this BKK. I cannot wait to light it off!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

So I lit it off twice last week. That thing comes up to temp in a flash! The steaks were SUPERB, and the chicken strips for fajitas INCREDIBLE... both soooo moist. The wife sent me a thank you email after dinner she was so happy with it, haha.

Back to my discount. I also noticed when I opened it up that there was a diffuser pan in it too, but no wire rack to hold it in place. I did notice that it's also missing one of the hooks on one of the side shelves... broken off tack weld. Finally, this BKK isn't equipped with an ash screen on the bottom slider vent. It doesn't appear that this model has one, from what I've seen online. Kinda wish it had that feature.

Anyone go to big steel keg' forum? I'm having a bit of trouble getting registered. http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php

After sales service is excellent.  My dome thermometer is fogged up.  They are sending me a new one with no questions asked.  I had a picture ready to send them and everything!

Guess I'm the newest purchaser here.  Just bought my Keg 2000.  I always liked the 2000 but never care for the 4000.  Thought it was too much money at $899.00 anyhow that was then.  Been cooking on mine yesterday and today.  I've been a Weber guy for a while.  I have an awesome Custom 26" kettle I modified but this Keg is another story.  It is so easy to manage.  I love it.  Should have bought sooner.  No worries about ceramic cracking.  Great build quality and portable.  I can move it by myself.

I'm a happy camper.

What I like about the keg:

1. Easier to move than ceramics

2. No cracking, outside or inside

3. Highly efficient , less thermal mass

4. Being steel, if something breaks, I can fix it

5. Outside stays relatively cool

6. Not fragile

7. Nice heavy cast iron grate

8. No firebox problems

9. Easier to modify (I put a rotisserie in mine)

10. Has a trailer hitch option

11. If it accidentally falls over, I can live with a dent

I too, did a lot of research before deciding the BKK a was for me.

Very happy so far

Don't be a hater y'all, but I bought a 2 yr old BSK for $40.00. The guy was moving and put it on. Craigslist..My wife saw it and we picked it up that night. Never been happier with everything I've put on it so far. Even got a nice Himilayan Salt Block. Cooked 2 T-Bones and a half lb of shrimp on Sunday. Wife said it was the best T-bone Ever. Two weeks ago used my smoker tube and smoked some mild cheddar and some Gouda. Both cheeses turned out perfect. Light. 'Em up and smoke 'em y'all

Jamie - welcome to Kamado GurU and welcome to The Addiction! Congrats on the Keg! It's a fine cooker. Drop on by the Introductions sections and give us the low down on ya, would you please? Thanks! We look forward to your contributions!