Sign in to follow this  
philpom

Ford or Chevy or GMC or Dodge

I'm looking for a new to me truck.  I want to replace an Expedition and regular cab truck so it needs to be a crew cab.

At this exact moment I am feeling drawn towards something like a GMC Sierra SLT Texas Edition but I don't have a particular attachment to any of them.  It does seem like I have driven Ford for a long time and in fact my favorite truck I ever owned was a '77 Ford Super Cab long bed.  I have been very happy with the Expedition.  Had a neighbor that bought a Dodge and it seemed like he had to replace everything on it so that scares me.  Maybe for me it's about the Ford look growing old?

What do you all drive and why?  Who makes the best truck and why?  Would you do it again?

The 2017 150 will have a twin turbo V6 and a 10 speed transmission. If it were me, I would wait and get one of those. I know lots of guys that have had lots of trouble with the Ram and some that haven't had any trouble at all. I think it's a crap shoot with the Ram. I would go Ford or GM but like I said the 2017 Ford would be my pick.

When I bought my Tahoe a few years ago I looked at the Chevy Silverado's that they had. I loved the way they looked, but needed more car-seat kid space, thus the Tahoe. In hindsight, I should have gotten a Suburban instead of the 'Hoe. With four kids and the wife loaded up, there's not much space behind the back seat to put anything. Baseball season with some folding camp style chairs and three baseball bags, there's no space left back there.

I used to love how "tough" that bulldog looking front of the Dodge trucks had/have.

Ford and Chevy both make pretty sweet looking trucks now too.

My first car (late 80's) was a 61 Chevy short bed step side that a guy in my town had fixed up. I would give my left ear to have that truck back. Sentimental value, but the lines and shapes of that truck were perfect.

I'd love to get a few OLD trucks in the next few years and have them safe and reliable before my three sons hit high school. (7, 8 and 10 now).

I've been looking for around 2 years now. After much researching I just purchased a new Ford F150 with the 3.5 EccoBoost engine and the Max-Tow Package.  I love it so far but have less than 1,000 miles on it.

Everyone will have their own set of variables as to what is a must and what is optional. Here is why I made the purchase of this particular truck.

1. I wanted something that was decent on gas but could also tow a good size trailer without maxing it out. This truck gets approximately 22 MPG on the freeway. (When not towing)
  2. If MGP was the only factor I would've went with the Dodge Eco-Diesel but the maximum it could tow (in the configuration we wanted) was 6,950 lbs. My Tahoe can tow almost that much already so we wanted something more. This ford is rated for 11,500 lbs.
  3. We wanted the Crew Cab and the Ford has a flat floor that makes it perfect for loading cargo and for our dogs.
  4.  We wanted something safe and the Ford had the top rating from the IIHS for standard pickups.

What was important to us might not be what someone else is looking for so take this for what it’s worth.