Must haves for accessories?

Andyboy

What would be some must have for accessories for a first time smoker? I'm starting with nothing here. I purchased the vision classic b....cost would be a factor here...wife is already ticked :)

I have the same kamado you do and there are a couple I would recommend. 

I have the Kick Ash Basket, I like it a lot, but I don't know that it is necessary or worth the cost.

I would absolutely recommend the Tip Top Temp.  I just did a 11 lb pork shoulder, overnight, in the rain and 12 hours later the temp was still dialed in the pork came out amazing.  For $30 it is the best temperature controller on the market. Read my post, I have a video with the adapter I built.  http://www.backyardmovies.net/?p=257

I also recommend MAPP torch, it is the quickest way to get the coals fired up, I like it better than the electric starter. 

I just got a Joetisserie, but the jury is still out on it. 

The Vision Lava stone is good for doing indirect heat, low and slow, but is pricey for what you get. 

Finally, I would get a good instant read thermometer. 

I have the Classic B, and I purchased the kamado Joe divide & conquer system. It works great in the vision, gives you the deflectors for smoking, and the system of split grates is quite superior to the factory vision grates. I find the second level vision grate very fussy to work with and much prefer the D&C system.

A less expensive accessory would be cast iron griddle. I see you're in Virginia, if you ever get down to the Carolinas you can pick one up for $13 at Academy Sports.

I would also get a dual probe thermometer, especially for smoking. One probe monitors grill temp, while the other measure your meat's internal temp. Lots of folks here use the maveric, which you can get on Amazon or at Home Depot, there are plenty of other brands too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Classic B, and I purchased the kamado Joe divide & conquer system. It works great in the vision, gives you the deflectors for smoking, and the system of split grates is quite superior to the factory vision grates. I find the second level vision grate very fussy to work with and much prefer the D&C system.

A less expensive accessory would be cast iron griddle. I see you're in Virginia, if you ever get down to the Carolinas you can pick one up for $13 at Academy Sports.

I would also get a dual probe thermometer, especially for smoking. One probe monitors grill temp, while the other measure your meat's internal temp. Lots of folks here use the maveric, which you can get on Amazon or at Home Depot, there are plenty of other brands too.

The cast iron griddle he's referencing is the one I have and it's great!  I use it on my Ceramic Grill Store Spider Ring down low to cook smash burgers OR I put the ceramic heat deflector down on the ceramic ring and the griddle up high on the top grate and use the griddle for pizza.  They come out perfect!   Ugh.  I paid $25 for that griddle though on Amazon. :( LOL

Essential accessories:

clam style tongues

Diffuser

You can get through most every cook with that.

Nice to have:

Quick read thermometer

leather welding gloves

Wide heavy duty foil

Sauce brush

Spatula

Qualifies as a gadget that could enhance or simplify:

Everything else.

Which cast iron griddle would fit for the vision?  I can't see my self spending anoter $100+ for the KJ divide & conquer...

I use this one https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1469558583&sr=8-8&keywords=lodge+cast+iron+deep. The price changes often. I paid less than 30.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Did you need something to hold it up?  or does that fit over the ceramic bowl?  and did you need to cut the handles off?

Since you are saying budget is very important ,really a pizza stone works good as a diffuser ,that is what I use . Since you said smoking then you may want to consider a remote thermometer like a maverick to monitor meat temp . You can always add the other stuff down the road .  

Just purchased the rebrand Maverick 733 thermometer from skymall! Pizza stones aren't that much cheaper than the Vision stone kit that comes with the spider bracket right?

I got one of them also. A good deal at $39.95 shipped.