Akorn Temp Control Thank You and Heat Deflector Question

AkornJim

New to this forum and wanted to give a big THANKS to previous post on temp control problems with the Akorn brand Kamado.  I lost the thread and could not reply but one individual decided to return his Akorn to Home Depot due to frustration.  I had exact same problems and was glad to see that it was ignorance with the air flow and lack of patience.  So a big thanks to all that posted.  My Akorn's fire died this morning after putting on a butt and following the user guide that said to shut top vent completely.  After reading the forum, re-starting and being patient, it is has been holding at ~300 for the past hour and a half and I am slowly letting it get down to around 225 (hopefully).

Now to the questions.  One cook book I have states to let grill stabilize to grilling temp, then place the ceramic heat diffuser into the unit, then place the grate on and then add the meat.  My fear is that if I did this the Akorn brand ceramic heat diffuser would crack due to the temp shock.  

So first question: Is their recommendation to let the grill reach desired temp PRIOR to adding the diffuser BS?

Second Question: If I do that will it crack the diffuser?

Thanks!

AkornJim 

Welcome to the forum! You may get more answers to your questions in the Akorn section. I add my diffuser after the fire is started well and let everything come up to the desired temps together. I doubt there is much that would crack the diffuser plate, it's very robust.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Go Apps
      Hello, I’m in the market for a temperature controller for my Big Joe. I’m trying to decide between the Flame Boss 500 and the Fireboard 2 
    • By Chap Swinson
      Bbqube temperature controller.  Like new.  Used once or twice.  $80 plus cost of shipping.  PM if interested.  South Carolina.  

• By Knoxly
      I have a Louisiana grills K24 and I am not sure if I can cook pizza directly on the heat deflector or need a separate pizza stone.  Also interested to know which side of the deflector is up for normal grilling.  Thanks!

• By william nelson
      Hey people Just like to know the best heat deflector set up for my new 12 inch ceramic grill. thx   
    • By NVRider
      I have a smokin stone for my AKORN Kamado, but wanted one for my AKORN Jr.. I found that not only are they scarce, but pricey too. From searches on the forums I did not really see a good solution, so I gave it a try myself to come up with one. Here is what I got:
      Wally World has Lodge 10.5 inch griddles for $14.88.

Once out to the shop I cut the handle off. Just eye balled the cut off point to fit on the shelf in the cooker.

Went to the grinding wheel to eliminate the rough surfaces and then drilled holes in the handle and handle lip to hold the bolt, nut and lock washer.

Fit nicely in the cooker and was very stable.

You can remove the deflector with BBQ gloves or use the grill handle which fits nicely in the slot of the griddle handle.

Fired up the grill and seem to work just fine with some salmon fillets I did.