Need Help Firing Up my KJ

dbh21

The other thing I might suggest is opening the bottom vent earlier on. I have mine open as soon as I start lighting, regardless of method. But everyone else has already put you well onto the right path.

Try removing your ash pan when lighting. I find that the perforated steel significantly reduces air flow when in the BJ for lighting. I do not even use mine except to remove the ash when getting ready to start her up. I have found this as well as the other tips above reduce my startup time.

There's another tip that I'd heard of but hadn't tried.

One day I was trying to bring my Jr up to temp. It was relighting used charcoal for just a quick cook, and it was not cooperating and coming up to temp. My girlfriend was over and I wanted to get to cooking and not keep her waiting.

So I grabbed a hair dryer and an extension cord, aimed it in the bottom vent, and VERY quickly I had a roaring fire. I was shocked at how well it worked.

So a cheap hair dryer from Walmart might be a good way to get up to temp quicker. If you want to spend a little more for battery power, there's the BBQ Dragon (which I'll probably pick up soon).

As everyone said above, airflow is king. So turbocharge it ;-)