Serious Eats Sous Vide "Smoked" Brisket

Pequod

Normally love Kenji's Food Lab, but don't think I'll be doing this one: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

Why not? I mean, the simplest (and totally valid) answer might be that you just don't think it'll come out how you want brisket to come out...

I'm pretty consistent at making "fair to good" brisket, the sort that makes me feel like I shouldn't even attempt to order brisket at most BBQ restaurants here in SoCal. But it's hit or miss on "great" brisket. 

One of these days I'm going to give this a shot on maybe a ~6-7 lb flat and see how it works.

Very simply, this looks like a convoluted way of trying to achieve a particular result for those that don't have either the equipment or skill to achieve that result. Simply see no reason to go there. And while it may satisfy those who would otherwise have no access to decent brisket, I'm highly skeptical that the result would be anywhere near what can be achieved with a smoker and good technique. Love my sous vide, but this application doesn't interest me. At all.

I'm excited to try it. All smoking is, is the application of heat and smoke. This method achieves both, with an extra step to ensure the moisture stays intact. I think you're underestimating the difference in moisture retention and overall flavor and tenderness when cooked 50-70F degrees lower than traditional brisket methods. I see no reason this wouldnt stack up against some of the best brisket around, regardless of method.

This method almost pushed me into purchasing a sous vide setup. I've been wanting one but this really has piqued my curiosity and given me even more reason to get into sous vide. The investment is significant though and not one I'm ready to make just yet.

This method almost pushed me into purchasing a sous vide setup. I've been wanting one but this really has piqued my curiosity and given me even more reason to get into sous vide. The investment is significant though and not one I'm ready to make just yet.

I'm an ambassador for Anova. I can get you a decent deal if you're interested. Nothing in it for me, just like to help folks out, and Anova is always willing to work with someone who is wanting to get into the market!

I'm an ambassador for Anova. I can get you a decent deal if you're interested. Nothing in it for me, just like to help folks out, and Anova is always willing to work with someone who is wanting to get into the market!

I'm still debating on the Anova or one of the pricier all in one deals with the insulated stainless steel water bath and all that good stuff. I did however watch a video this morning where Kenji and Adam Savage compared various steak searing methods and he used what appeared to be an Anova unit to cook the steaks. It's still an option and I thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it sometime in the near future.

I'm still debating on the Anova or one of the pricier all in one deals with the insulated stainless steel water bath and all that good stuff. I did however watch a video this morning where Kenji and Adam Savage compared various steak searing methods and he used what appeared to be an Anova unit to cook the steaks. It's still an option and I thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it sometime in the near future.

I see zero reason to get anything except an immersion circulator, whether it be Anova, Sansaire, etc. I use an 8qt stock pot for small cooks, and a 5 gallon polycarb Cambro (less than $20) for larger cooks. If you catch it right, you're all in < $150. 

I see zero reason to get anything except an immersion circulator, whether it be Anova, Sansaire, etc. I use an 8qt stock pot for small cooks, and a 5 gallon polycarb Cambro (less than $20) for larger cooks. If you catch it right, you're all in < $150.
Is that for the Wi-fi model?

Is that for the Wi-fi model?

I've found that you can send a comment to Anova on Facebook and they will send you a coupon code that makes the wifi version about $150. I did it, and my sister did it. Worked both times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk