Vote on the challenge entries!

So now that we’ve talked about criteria you’ll use for voting let’s talk about voting in general.

I personally do not vote for my own entry. It just feels a little strange to me. (I did it once and decided I’m not going to do it again) If you really want to vote for yourself there isn’t a rule against it. I will say that if you win a Challenge, without voting for yourself, it feels much more like an accomplishment.

I also don’t ask others to vote for me. If my entry warrants votes they will come on their own without me campaigning / lobbying / soliciting for them. I especially don’t sign up people I know, just so they can vote for me. That is not what these things are for.

I personally think that voting for oneself is bad form in this type of competition. Obviously I take great pride in most of my entries. I choose recipes or concepts that I think will be unique, innovative, and visually appealing. And I want to get votes, of course, because this is a competition and getting to 2nd/3rd place is a lot more fun than just getting a participation point. But I as well just don't feel comfortable voting for myself, even when I think my dish is really a contender. I don't know that there should be a "rule" against voting for yourself, but I do think there should be an unspoken agreement not to do so.

As for the second point, I do think getting other people to sign up for the site specifically to vote for you, and those people not actually being active members of the site otherwise, falls under "cheating". I mean people who are lurkers rather than actively posting is one thing, but getting friends to join SOLELY to increase your vote total seems to be far beyond acceptable behavior. I think that should be officially considered cheating.

As for the second point, I do think getting other people to sign up for the site specifically to vote for you, and those people not actually being active members of the site otherwise, falls under "cheating". I mean people who are lurkers rather than actively posting is one thing, but getting friends to join SOLELY to increase your vote total seems to be far beyond acceptable behavior. I think that should be officially considered cheating.

Maybe in future challenges but currently there is no rule in place saying that can't happen. Yes a bit unsavory but not against any rule.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So now that we’ve talked about criteria you’ll use for voting let’s talk about voting in general.

I personally do not vote for my own entry. It just feels a little strange to me. (I did it once and decided I’m not going to do it again) If you really want to vote for yourself there isn’t a rule against it. I will say that if you win a Challenge, without voting for yourself, it feels much more like an accomplishment.

I also don’t ask others to vote for me. If my entry warrants votes they will come on their own without me campaigning / lobbying / soliciting for them. I especially don’t sign up people I know, just so they can vote for me. That is not what these things are for.

I personally think that voting for oneself is bad form in this type of competition. Obviously I take great pride in most of my entries. I choose recipes or concepts that I think will be unique, innovative, and visually appealing. And I want to get votes, of course, because this is a competition and getting to 2nd/3rd place is a lot more fun than just getting a participation point. But I as well just don't feel comfortable voting for myself, even when I think my dish is really a contender. I don't know that there should be a "rule" against voting for yourself, but I do think there should be an unspoken agreement not to do so.

I agree with mostly everything you stated above and I'll expand a little. I too wouldn't vote for my own entry but there is no rule against voting for yourself. We all want to win, or at least show well, but if you have confidence in your dish then you shouldn't feel the need to vote for yourself. We all spend time and effort (sometimes a lot of it) into these entries and most of us feel that they are worthy of receiving votes and possibly even coming in 3rd, 2nd or even 1st. When something that we've spent that much time and effort at doesn't do well, it can be a little discouraging to some and crushing to others. Some will take it as a call to improve on their techniques while others will just quit entering. My hope is that everyone looks at these things as the call to get better at their cooking and sharing techniques. We cannot control who is winning these things but we can try to ensure that there is a level playing field for all who entry. As you may recall that I never wanted any rules but to help ensure that level playing field we are discussing the implementation of some.

Understand that we have no evidence that your (and my) second point has happened. If it did, it comes back to, if you have confidence in your dish then you wouldn't feel the need to this. It is unacceptable behavior that, as of now, there is no rule to prohibit. As I said above we're looking to change that so it will be unacceptable behavior, per the rules, in the future.

Maybe in future challenges but currently there is no rule in place saying that can't happen. Yes a bit unsavory but not against any rule.

As stated above, we're discussing the implementation of some rules. With any rules that we implement, the only goal will be a fair and level playing field. There will still be some who will win more than others but, if everything is fair and level then that is all we can do and no one should be upset.

Last day to vote for the Asian challenge. We've had a really good voting turn out so far but more votes is better.

If you haven't done so already please take the time to look at all the entries and vote for your favorite.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk