Anyone ever cook wild boar before?

My brother went hunting and was lucky enough to bag a boar in Florida and wants me to do some cooking. I have some "back straps" which resemble a boneless rack of ribs and a 3 pound bone-in shoulder.

There seems to be a good amount of fat so they appear to be a good candidate for a low and slow session on the big joe.

Anyone ever cook this before? Should i treat this like I would pulled pork and ribs? Any proven recipes or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should i treat this like I would pulled pork and ribs? 

Yes.

It is very important to ensure the meat is clean.  I don't know the proper terminology, but we've always soaked/flushed the hogs in cold water, changing it frequently to get all of the blood out of the meat.  When the water no longer changes color, it's good to go.

Hope to get a few this coming year myself.

I've got a friend who cooks it after he kills it and it's definitely an acquired taste. It's a lot gamier than traditional pig and he says he soaks his meat in a large stock pot in cold water with 2 large baking potatoes cut in half for a few hours. He swears the potato draws out the gamey taste but even then he adds a lot of sweet injection to his shoulder when he cooks it and then sauces it heavily.

I've had it and it's good but it's not like traditional pork.

Living in TX, I've killed and eaten a lot of wild hogs. It is diff than the pork you buy in the stores but I love it. Main diff is that it will be much leaner than store bought and you really have to take steps to not let it dry out. I enjoy the taste of wild pork, it just has more flavor in my opinion. Good luck with your cook, I think you will like it!

After washing it with water, We usually let it marinate in red wine, onions, juniper, laurel, rosemary for at least 24 hours before path it dry and cooking it here in Italy... To remove some of the wild taste

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the advice. Upon further inspection it appears the back straps are pretty lean, similar to what you would see on a pork loin.

I'm currently dry brining both the loin and the straps but I'm thinking the straps may be better served cooked on a higher heat (direct) instead of low and slow with the shoulder.

I'm going to give it a go and will post the results tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk