Excited....Round 2

wkosnik

I am excited to have found this forum (actually recommended right from Char-Griller).  I bought my Akorn about 2 weeks ago, and am learning to tweak in those temps for low and slow.  I actually joined this forum yesterday, but my stuff got wiped out when the wrong backup was loaded.  Anyways, can't wait to share and learn from what seems to be a great community!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pittmab
      First attempt at chicken shawarma last night on the Joetisserie.

Came out really good, very pleased with the result and so easy. Juicy, tender moist chicken, with gnarled crispy edges.

Followed Smoking Dad's recipe from his YouTube video.

• By sdimartino
      I’ve been using my Akorn Jr for going on a year, now. I empty the ash pan after each use, but today I noticed a fairly significant grease accumulation in there (photo attached). I’m worried this may cause ash to stick and potentially cause rust problems. Should I clean/degrease it? If so, what’s the best way to do that? Soap and dish detergent? Or is there some kind of spray degreaser I should use? Any tips appreciated. 

• By sdimartino
      Hey, everyone, new guy here (to both the forum and kamado cooking). My question is about starting up the charcoal. Right now I'm using a chimney starter with newspaper, but I hate the bloom of acrid smoke I get from the paper, so I picked up some paraffin starting cubes. Unfortunately I can't seem to use the cubes with the chimney because they fall through the grate (I have to set the chimney on the grate because I don't really have anywhere else to set it, no concrete on my patio). Can I just start the coals by stacking them in a pile on the grate and sticking a cube in the middle of the pile?

Or, let me approach this a different way... How do you start your coals up?
    • By Tom_V
      First cook on Joetissorie on the Akorn, and yes it fits perfect! I used a combination rub of KC's and Dinasour BBQ Cajun Foreplay. (Dinasour BBQ is the BEST BBQ restaurant in NY State) I also made a paste with same ingredients and rubbed under breast skin and inside cavity. Akorn running at 400-425 deg. Amazing flavor!

• By Cranky1
      Hi all,
      Just got an Akorn 16820 and mother nature decided to go all cool and wet on me. Looking forward to trying this thing out.