I have yet to perfect any kind of rub or injection of my own.  This is due to the fact I am still practicing and learning how get a perfect cook.  While I do burgers and steaks on my Akorn, I usually smoke either pork butts, or pork spare ribs (brisket once a year when I purchase a quarter side of beef).  

Since I am still trying to perfect the smoking process, I leave it up to those who have already perfected their rub processes.  I've tried some store bought rubs in the past, and McCormick makes a mean Pulled BBQ dry rub.  But this week I decided to try something new.  I found a company out of Waxahachie, Texas named Meat Church.  They are a competition BBQ team that have marketed their rubs through social media, and after reading reviews on their spices, I decided to take the plunge. Best part is, you get either 10 or 12 oz bottles of each, where the rubs I find in the store are usually 6oz, and they were almost the same price of some of the things I found in the store.   They have 7 different rubs, and 3 different injections.  I went with what they call the Fab 5.  It comes with: Honey Hog BBQ, Honey Hog Hot BBQ, Holy Cow, Season-All and Deez Nuts.  They also have a fajita seasoning and a Bacon BBQ rub. 

I like my pulled pork on the sweet side with a bit of heat.  And I like my beef with a nice amount of salt, garlic and black pepper.  With Honey Hog Hot and the Holy Cow, I get just that.  Interesting thing about the Honey Hog Hot bbq, there is some sugar in it, but they actually use honey power for most of the sweetness.  And instead of cayenne for the heat, they use jalapeno power for the heat.  Gives it such an interesting flavor.  I haven't added it to any cooks yet, just tasted a little taste of each to see the flavor profile.  I look forward to showing off a few smokes with these soon.  I think tomorrow I am going to use a bit of the season all and the honey hog hot bbq tomorrow on a pork tenderloin and grill that bad boy up.

Their site is just http://www.meatchurch.com/ 

Meat Church is awesome, had a small mishap when I ordered the fab 5. They sent me two different orders, one I ordered and someone else order totalling 18 bottles of rub. When they finally figured out what happened they had to overnight the other order out to the other person. I sent them an email about the extra rubs I received and their response was, enjoy the extra rubs. I will always purchase from them because of that, not only because of there great rubs. My favorite so far is the Bacon BBQ rub, Honey Hot BBQ and the Fajitas. 

post-11020-0-61242300-1471032750_thumb.j

Another rub to look at would be Lane's BBQ, they have excellent rubs as well. Sweat Heat is my favorite. 

@wkosnik and @Jesse

I just tried my first Meat Church rub.

I hit this small butt with it as a base.  It glazed over really swiftly and then I dusted on a layer of Chupacabra Cajun.  It also glazed really swiftly.

rhKyou3.jpg?1

Really did well on a cook where I was in a bit of a hurry to get the meat on the grill.

Bark was mighty tasty and mated up nicely with a vinegar based finishing sauce.

5Q6IyMK.jpg?1

Used the Gospel on some chicken breasts, too.   They were delicious.

zNa0neJ.jpg?1

vEn2K7c.jpg?1

I'll definitely be trying some of their other rubs.

@Dub I used some of The Gospel on skinless boneless chicken breasts that we made last night.  Put some on before I vacuum sealed them for the sous vide and then added more for the sear.  They turned out excellent, very good flavor.  I have a few other meat church rubs that I haven't tried yet but based on this result i am eager to get to them all.

7 hours ago, shuley said:

I enjoy honey hog, but on my last taste test, my homemade rub came out on top (it was a blind test for everyone but me). 

Gratifying results !!!!!!!!!!!!

On 9/27/2017 at 12:42 PM, shuley said:

I enjoy honey hog, but on my last taste test, my homemade rub came out on top (it was a blind test for everyone but me). 

@shuley  this begs the question.... care to share that recipe? Or direct me to it if you already have it somewhere?

8 hours ago, Werepanda said:

@shuley  this begs the question.... care to share that recipe? Or direct me to it if you already have it somewhere?

I think that it would be really hard to quantify amounts of ingredients as I pretty much eyeball it. But for ribs I use kosher salt, fresh black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, mustard powder, cinnamon, a small amount of cayenne. Then after all of those ingredients are poured, I add approximately half the volume in brown sugar and mix thourpigjly to distribute. 

I did a head-to-head comparison yesterday.

9dZ0FXZ.jpg?1

The general consensus is that Lambert's Sweet Swine'O'Mine was better on ribs.

Understandable, as the MC"s Gospel is more of an "all purpose" rub.  I'd like to try some of their other true rib rubs.

Gospel was great on chicken, though.

Ok Meat Church Rubs....

I have used them all and like some and don't like some

I found the fajita to be way to salty and I don't like its mix for mexican food.

Holy Cow I use exclusively on beef ribs and nothing else as it can be over the top salty on other food

Honey hog and honey hog hot are finishing rubs not base rubs in my opinion.  They add some complexity to other rubs but not good on their own for ribs or other pork low and slows.  

Deez Nuts is a great rub that we often use on chicken or some fish but I still like to use that as a finishing rub if I use it on pork.

The gospel is good.... but not great.  I find that it has far too much paprika and not much of anything else so it comes out a bit flat.  But the colouring it produces on meat is awesome.  Mix this with the honey hog or a deez nuts and we are in business.  

The gospel is very close the the Eat BBQ zero to hero, but the Eat Hero rub hits a bunch of different flavour profiles without the need of adding a secondary rub.  

There all purpose rub is not good at all in my opinion and they could do away with it as far as I am concerned.   

In my cupboard, I use the following rubs when not using my own stuff

Primary Rubs

Oakridge Black ops (Exclusively on brisket)

Lanes Brisket rub (for steak not brisket)

John Henry's Cilantro and Lime (Shrimp)

Eat Hero BBQ Zero to Hero (ribs, butts all pork)

Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust (mixed into my hamburgers)

The Slabs Birds and bones (everything chicken)

Secondary Rubs

The Slabs Pork Rub (savoury pork rub, great in combo with zero to hero)

Lanes Sweet Heat (versatile sweet and spicy)

Meat Church honey hog (finishing rub on pork)

Meat Church Deez Nuts (chicken, shrimp)

Meat Church Holy Cow (beef short ribs)

I could honestly do away with all of the secondary rubs and likely won't refill when they run out.  But the top ones are my heavy go to rubs and I use them weekly on most cooks

I have been playing around with my rubs again as well and have found my pork rub to be competitive with anything out there, I also have a santa maria rub and a steak rub that I enjoy.

I am looking forward to trying Code 3 spices soon.  They seem to be making a huge splash in the BBQ market lately