Skirt Steak - good or great?

philpom

When asking the question what is the best cut of beef you will no doubt get many answers...

ribeye

t-bone

porterhouse

prime rib

loin

etc

etc

I want to toss skirt steak in that mix.  Tender, juicy, versatile, tasty etc.  It's super duper when I combine it with this:

1/2 cup of water

1/2 cut of white vinegar

1 1/2 tb chili powder

1 tb lemon pepper

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 small one cup bouillon cube crushed.  Beef or chicken.

Full story here: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/8799-fajita-meat-marinade/

Behold fajita meat!  One of my favorite.

IMG_20160813_214454706_zpsdudphrhc.jpg

IMG_20160813_215825642_zpsqja2sgh4.jpg

IMG_20160813_220710932_zpsausdmzad.jpg

IMG_20160813_224533367_zpsavdb6o3t.jpg

IMG_20160813_224129961_zpsj9huab1b.jpg

So tender, leftovers are great with eggs or even in a salad!

When asking the question what is the best cut of beef you will no doubt get many answers...

ribeye

t-bone

porterhouse

prime rib

loin

etc

etc

I want to toss skirt steak in that mix. Tender, juicy, versatile, tasty etc. It's super duper when I combine it with this:

1/2 cup of water

1/2 cut of white vinegar

1 1/2 tb chili powder

1 tb lemon pepper

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 small one cup bouillon cube crushed. Beef or chicken.

Full story here: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/8799-fajita-meat-marinade/

Behold fajita meat! One of my favorite.

IMG_20160813_214454706_zpsdudphrhc.jpg

IMG_20160813_215825642_zpsqja2sgh4.jpg

IMG_20160813_220710932_zpsausdmzad.jpg

IMG_20160813_224533367_zpsavdb6o3t.jpg

IMG_20160813_224129961_zpsj9huab1b.jpg

So tender, leftovers are great with eggs or even in a salad!

Cooking them directly on the lump coals are amazingly delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skirt Steak - good or great?

Very Good...One of the best steaks I've ever had was a wood-grilled "Hawaiian Style" skirt steak (marinated with Teriyaki, ginger, garlic) and served with grilled pineapple...but I like all the rest of those cuts too.

I agree with John S. on the Flat Iron and will add Hanger Steak as a good cut.

From my perspective I like the cook on the skirt steak but more fundamentally ALL the cuts mentioned fall in my "like" category.  LoL.  Some of these unappreciated cuts used to be cheap which was great for those of us who liked them and then they went and got popular and the prices went crazy. A man just can't win......

From my perspective I like the cook on the skirt steak but more fundamentally ALL the cuts mentioned fall in my "like" category.  LoL.  Some of these unappreciated cuts used to be cheap which was great for those of us who liked them and then they went and got popular and the prices went crazy. A man just can't win......

Like chicken wings?

Like chicken wings?

Yep.  Like a lot of things restaurants found out were cheap that they could make big $$$ on that got "trendy"!  And then there are the TV cooking shows and magazines telling the masses about these "secret and unappreciated" delicacies.   Sigh....

Skirt steak is my wife's favorite cut. Don't get me wrong I love it to. Skirt steak was the piece I used when I first heard about flipping your steaks alot. I cut one in half and flipped one every 30 seconds while the other just got flipped once. The every 30 seconds one had a little less crust but was noticeably more tender. Since then I've done the flip every 30 seconds or so on London broil and skirt steaks.

From my perspective I like the cook on the skirt steak but more fundamentally ALL the cuts mentioned fall in my "like" category. LoL. Some of these unappreciated cuts used to be cheap which was great for those of us who liked them and then they went and got popular and the prices went crazy. A man just can't win......

Like chicken wings?

And oxtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while I like skirt steak and use it in various recipes it usually has to be marinated or cooked a certain way to achieve the tenderness other steak cuts have with just simple seasonings and thrown on the grill. I also like a thick cut steak served on the rare side and to me a skirt steak can be on the chewy/tough side if prepared like a traditional steak.